A delayed but heartfelt goodbye

Former editor, reporter reminisces over journalism hardships, accomplishments during last four years

COURTESY OF JAYCE CARRAL

Former news editor Jayce Carral spent 10 semesters, including summers, at The Daily Evergreen.

JAYCE CARRAL, Evergreen reporter

An old basement owns half my heart. 

I didn’t expect to feel so many emotions for a newspaper. I was hired by chance freshman year during fall 2018. I was new to town — to the state and even the country if we want to be that dramatic — and desperately looking for a job. The Daily Evergreen emailed me back first, and later that week I began as a news reporter. 

I almost quit that first semester. I was so new, incredibly inexperienced and not even a journalism major. My editors threw me face-first into news and I was falling. In my first month, I covered stories that made me realize what being a queer person of color in journalism would look like, and it terrified me. 

I was scared, but I’ve always had an alarmingly low amount of care for my well-being. I was basically living in fight or flight mode again, but it was like I found a new path between the two options — journalism made me feel alive and it still does. 

I continued reporting news, and it was mostly hard news. I jumped on the crime and the courts beat, covered legislation and any breaking news was automatically mine. I thought I would stay like that, refusing to go beyond black-and-white truth and lies. That was really idiotic of me because journalism is so much more than that — I wanted to do it all. 

My editors pushed me beyond hard news and I began having even more fun. I celebrated Diwali with a local ashram and wrote features about business owners; the latter allowed me to circle back to a story I helped break about employer misconduct. But there were also stories that were very hard to cover, like student deaths, Black Lives Matter demonstrations and then an entire pandemic. 

I credit a lot of my growth in journalism to the editors I had at the Evergreen. I was encouraged to become a page design editor during my second semester and that helped me connect with the editors who ran the newsroom. I am still, and probably always will be, in awe of those editors. 

There were four specific ones that I still obsess over; I am such a big fan of them and I can’t wait to see how they change the field. Two of them are women of color and they helped me forge a way to make journalism mine. They helped me see that I didn’t have to suppress my identity for my career; instead, my viewpoint on life allows me to do journalism even better. 

Their encouragement and my own growth helped me become a pretty decent editor who was able to work with more than just design. I was the news editor for an entire year, then copy chief, research editor and back to news editor again when I was needed last semester. I hope that I was at least one-tenth as good an editor as the ones I had. 

Fall 2021 was my last semester with the Evergreen. In total, I spent 10 semesters, including summers, with the paper. I honestly haven’t been able to process it all, but I know it was a lot and I wouldn’t change any of it. 

The Daily Evergreen gave me the opportunity to learn journalism in a way that cannot be taught in a classroom. Without the Evergreen, I wouldn’t have gotten the amazing internship and employment opportunities I’ve been able to experience. I wouldn’t have been able to cover stories and talk to people I will always remember. 

I want the Evergreen to continue to be independent and student-run for decades after my graduation. I want amazing journalists to spawn from that too-cold and too-hot basement in Murrow Hall. I want students to be able to learn as much as I did — let’s hope they can. 

This student-run paper means so much to me. It changed my life, and I will always love it for that.