Letter from the editor: How did we end up here?

News editors hope to make an impact on reporters, the community

FRANKIE BEER and LIAM CONNORS

Liam Connors, deputy news editor

So how the heck did I end up here?

Like many of my peers, I was struck with that big question of, “What am I going to do with my life?”

During the beginning of my spring semester last year, I decided to actually do something about this looming question and branch out of my comfort zone.

I joined the Evergreen on a whim and didn’t really think much of it, figuring it would be a good time-waster considering most of my days were spent rewatching “Breaking Bad” and old episodes of “Naruto.”

I made the decision without really much thought, and it ended up changing my life forever. Within my first month of working here, I went from an advertising major to a multimedia journalism major. Over the summer I began my role as your deputy news editor and will continue to do so throughout the fall.

To be frank, I am scared. I feel unqualified and undeserving of this position. I really only began journalism around March, and I’m now taking on a position of leadership.

Am I going to screw up?

Yes.

Do I still doubt myself?

Yes.

Am I excited to learn and grow?

Absolutely!

How will this semester turn out? I have no idea. All I know is that I am hoping to infect reporters, readers and whoever else with a love and interest in journalism.

Frankie Beer, news editor

Hello everybody! My name is Frankie Beer, and I will be your news editor for the fall semester. 

One year ago, I had never written a real article. The Roots, now Life, section took a chance on a sophomore wanting to pursue journalism, and I gradually discovered my passion for telling stories about people and events that matter. 

Over the past year, I’ve had amazing experiences at the Evergreen, like speaking with the first same-sex couple to receive a marriage license in Idaho, sitting in on a press conference for award-winning journalist Ann Curry and following the story of academic student employees’ struggle to unionize.

Throughout this semester, Deputy News Editor Liam Connors and I hope to provide you with more of these great stories and make sure you are informed members of the Cougar community. 

In addition to covering more investigative stories this semester, I hope to start a weekly “People of the Palouse” column to highlight the stories of students, faculty and community members whose work often goes unnoticed but still makes an impact on Pullman, no matter how small. 

If you have stories you would like to see us cover or have someone in mind who we should feature in our “People of the Palouse” column, do not hesitate to reach out via email at [email protected].

If you want to write for the news section and help us represent students’ voices, do the same!

Until next time, 

Frankie Beer