ASWSU discusses contraceptive vending machine, confirms more chairs

Contraceptive pills will be priced $35 less than retail stores

KHOI VU

Antonio Fajardo-Mora and Freddy Jimenez present in front of the ASWSU about undocumented students, August 31.

LIAM CONNORS, Deputy news editor

ASWSU announces that an emergency contraceptive machine will likely be rolled out this semester.

The project was overseen by Nikolai Sublett, director of university affairs, who has been working on the endeavor for the past two years.

“The University of Washington actually heard about this initiative and were currently racing them to get the machine installed,” Sublett said.

The contraceptive pill will be priced at $15 per pill, which is $35 less than retail, and $10 less what Eastern Washington University sells for, he said.

The machine will be placed in a discreet location at the bottom floor of the CUB near the bathrooms, with Sublett adding that they are looking into other products to put in the machine such as COVID-19 tests, Myodil, Advil, Sublett said.

Sublett also discussed a student fee increase, which was said to be around a $1.50 raise.

The Washington Students Association does lobbying and increased the Pell grant which will help multiple students go to school.

WSU pays $15,000 dollars to be a part of the Washington Students Association, with that price being raised to $30,000, he said.

ASWSU also saw the crimson group co-chair confirmation of Antonio Fajardo-Mora and Freddy Jimenez.

The crimson group is a support and advocacy group for undocumented students that provides a safe space for individuals to get together and uplift one another.

“Undocujoy is what they call it, undocumented people coming together and sharing the joy they have with one another and talking about things that are relating to their status,”Fajardo-Mora said.

Jimenez said this is a safe community not just for undocumented students but for anyone who wants to help out and advocate. 

“I know there is a lot of emphasis on undocumented students from the LatinX community, but anybody can be undocumented, no matter who they are and what background they’re from,”  Fajardo-Mora said.

The pair plan on hosting a DACA workshop to help educate undocumented students and election updates and mental health resources.

Cody Schutte, senior math and human development double major, was later confirmed as the senator for the College of Arts and Sciences.

Schutte was the mental health chair at his fraternity and wants to use his experience there to positively impact the WSU community and help end the stigma surrounding men’s mental health.

“In my fraternity the culture surrounding men’s mental health has changed astronomically,” he said. “ Members were far more comfortable with their brothers and were able to be far more vulnerable with the chapter.”

Schutte talked about how the stigma surrounding men’s mental health and toxic masculinity were intrinsically tied together and wanted to provide students with information to help circumvent this issue.