‘I have the biggest closet in Pullman, these are all my clothes’

Goya’s unique timepieces are what makes it so special

Catherine Cibotti

AMDT student puts fashion first at Goya Vintage thrift store

ANNIE HAGER

Goya Vintage is a place where you can find unique timepieces that fit each person’s individual style. 

Nick Trotta, WSU student and co-owner of Goya Vintage, has used fashion as an art form throughout his entire life. 

Trotta is a model who was scouted at 18 and dreams of eventually walking the runway. He has done some bookings with some really cool companies during his time modeling this far, he said. 

Last October, he said he decided to open the store because it has more longevity than modeling does.

As an apparel merchandising design and textiles major, Trotta wanted to prioritize the fashion industry first, he said. 

Brent Kreiselmaier, WSU senior business marketing major, became friends with Trotta through their bond over fashion and style. 

Kreiselmaier has been shopping at Goya since it opened and said it not only sells clothes, but it sells an era and nostalgia. 

“Goya is very respectful of the past and keeps it for what it is and just wants to pass that on to other people,” Kreiselmaier said. 

It’s most popular for its crewnecks because of how versatile they can be, Trotta said. Since last year he has added a lot more WSU jerseys to appeal to the common audience. 

“Pretty much everything I get that’s pre-2003 vintage WSU stuff just flies in some ways,” he said. 

Trotta plans to add a small business rack to his store that will feature AMDT students’ own brands, and other small businesses so that some local creatives can get their work out there, he said. 

Trotta gets a lot of his sourcing at rag houses which are wholesale vintage recycling plants, utilizing zero waste initiatives. It’s like the Goodwill bins on steroids, he said.

“It’s pretty fun, and I like going to them because they’re like Costco sized warehouses full of clothes. You flip them and you’re opening 100-pound bales of clothes,” he said. 

Trotta said, it’s very freeing to have creative freedom while co-owning the business with his older brother. He is able to buy spray paint and tag the walls, and come up with random ideas that might elevate the experience at the store. 

“Nick, he’s a builder for sure.” Kreiselmaier said. “He kind of has his own niche and little vision of what success means to him and this is really just the first piece of it for him. This is definitely not the end.” 

After graduation Trotta plans to keep Goya going in Pullman even though he won’t necessarily be here, he said. He hopes to chain it out to other states like Tennessee and California but have the original stay in Pullman. 

“Goya is an extension of me. It’s all stuff I like,” he said. “I see every item before it goes on the rack. I make sure I like it. Sometimes I like to say I have the biggest closet in Pullman, and these are all my clothes.”