Ask Emma: Where do I go to study?

As the end of the semester approaches, Emma has some good ideas on how to get into a studious groove.

GRACIE ROGERS

Emma has been to multiple study spots on campus and has a few suggestions

SAYDEE PHOTHIVONGSA, Evergreen news editor

Editor’s Note: Even though Emma Ledbetter has graduated, The Daily Evergreen has decided to continue the Ask Emma segment with a new author in honor of our friend Emma and all the people she has helped

Dear Emma, 

The end of the semester is coming fast and doing homework in my room just isn’t cutting it anymore. I need new ideas for study spots around campus to help me feel motivated and ready to finish the semester strong. Preferably somewhere quiet where I can be alone and focused. Please help! 

Sincerely, 

In Search of a Study Spot 

Dear In Search of a Study Spot, 

You are in luck! There are so many different study spots to choose from on (and off) campus and each offers a slightly different experience so surely you’ll be able to find something that suits your fancy! 

While I probably won’t be able to list every possible place to study in the greater Palouse area, I can share a few of my personal favorites. 

My first choice is almost always the Owen Science and Engineering Library.

It is located near the Spark (great for a Starbies stop before grinding on some homework) and is open 7:30 a.m. to 10:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, 12 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. on Saturdays and 12 p.m. to 10:45 p.m. on Sundays. And no, you don’t have to be a science or engineering major to come to this library (I may or may not have used to think that when I was a freshman). 

The thing I love most about this library is that there are usually not that many people there. There are also six floors to choose, from each with an array of seating choices. 

I have had some of my most productive nights at this library so since you mentioned that you want a quiet place to study, this library might just be the place for you. The Owen Science and Engineering Library also has study rooms available, but those do need to be reserved in advance. More information on reserving a room can be found on the library website.

Another place I often go to do homework is the Chinook. The Chinook is great because like the engineering library, they have study rooms (or Presentation Practice Rooms, as the Chinook calls them) where you can be alone and focus on the work you need to do. You do not need to reserve these rooms before you go, as they are on a first come first serve basis. 

These private rooms are great for rehearsing speeches or for just having some peace and quiet. 

Another great option is the Compton Union Building. I will warn you that the CUB is a pretty busy place, so pick this option when you are in the mood for some hustle and bustle around you. 

The great thing about the CUB is that there are lots of food and drink options there like Freshens, Panda Express, Cougar Country and more, which makes it the perfect place to refuel mid-study sesh. 

There is also a homework/study space located on the lower level of the CUB called Reunion that has a lot of tables which is great for collaborative studying and projects. 

The CUB is also a very central point on campus, so if you have a break between classes or just need a place to stop in and do some work while you’re on campus, the CUB is a great place!

Last but not least, if you’re feeling like getting off campus and have the ability to do so, going to a coffee shop and doing homework can feel empowering and productive. 

There are places like Roost, Thomas Hammer and Pups n Cups in downtown Pullman which are especially great around this time of year with the leaves covering Main Street. It always makes me feel like I’m having a main character moment when I study in coffee shops. 

I also really love coffee, so having a place where I can study AND have coffee is heaven. 

Going to a coffee shop for a few hours is a great way to get a change of scenery and the new environment might even inspire you! 

I hope you’ll be able to find at least one new study spot that you enjoy because I know a good study spot can make all the difference. Good luck! 

Best, 

Emma