‘Is this real life … or is it just fantasy’

Current managing editor and future editor-in-chief reflects on semester, future to come

Courtesy of Mikayla Finnerty

Mikayla Finnerty, former social media editor, managing editor and future Editor-In-Chief

MIKAYLA FINNERTY, Editor-in-chief

Do you know those dreams where you can’t differentiate what is real and what’s not? 

I have been having those dreams more frequently, mainly about my work at the Evergreen. Dreams where I message editors about story ideas, dreams of potential breaking news stories that wake me up at 3 a.m., of editing articles and waking up to find I haven’t gotten to them yet.

This is the reality as managing editor of the Evergreen. I am consumed by my work and everything I do always comes back to the Evergreen.

Before the editor-in-chief elections, I had dreams where I would be in Zoom for hours, waiting for the results. I had dreams where I bombed the interview and woke up feeling disheartened. And the day came when it was finally over. 

I still wondered if it is true. Am I actually going to be EIC for Spring 2023? 

Yes, yes I am. And today as I write this, I have fully embodied that truth. I have been a part of the Evergreen for three semesters now, and it is crazy to think I started as a reporter and am now running the show.

The people I have met have taught me the true meaning of what it is to be a community. I am surrounded by respect and appreciation that I have never known before. I am so proud to call my staff my friends and colleagues. 

I have always wanted to do things alone. And for most of my life, I have done it alone. But being here working with people who value me — and I them — I see that it is finally OK to let myself breathe. 

A huge part of who I am today is because of our current EIC, Sandi Kobiesa. She has taught me how to be a true leader, and to be resilient in times of adversity. She is the person I trust to always “get shit done” and do it with class and grace. She has taught me not to be so hard on myself, which I have always struggled with.

And as she steps down from the Evergreen, the newsroom will have lost a true presence. 

As for our editors, I have truly been blessed to have worked with a team that works as hard as they do. Their work and contribution to the community does not go unnoticed. As some have decided to leave or step down, I know that they can achieve anything they put their minds to and I wish them the best of luck.

To our staff: I have seen you dig and fight your way through the trenches. I appreciate and value all the work you have done this semester, and you can only improve from here. I have seen people become great reporters and find their footing here. And my only wish is to continue that legacy coming into Spring. 

And to our community: I look forward to continuing to be consumed by the Evergreen and putting my heart and soul into the newsroom. I have some big plans for the Evergreen and am excited to see what we accomplish next semester. 

Tonight I will have dreams of the Evergreen I plan to see in the spring. Enhancing our coverage, educating future journalists and the newsroom becoming a home. And I know that this will become reality.