WAZZU WEEKLY: Three Cougs in Super Bowl, Pullman boys basketball undefeated

Get ready for Valentine’s Day and the Super Bowl

Pullman shooting guard Champ Powaukee dunks the ball during a high school basketball game against Rogers, Feb. 7, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

It was an incredible week in Pullman.

Pullman girls and boys varsity basketball teams celebrated their senior nights at Pullman High School Tuesday night, WSU men’s basketball hosts UW in the Apple Cup. WSU women’s basketball plays two top 25 teams on the road.

The Evergreen has everything you need to prepare for the most important day in February: the Super Bowl–I mean Valentine’s Day–I mean let’s face it, it’s the Super Bowl but we’ve got articles about both so it is all good!

Brown’s 40 points propel Pullman boys basketball to dominate senior night win

Pullman point guard Jaedyn Brown shoots a free throw during a high school basketball game against Rogers, Feb. 7, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Both Pullman High’s girls and boys teams beat Rogers HS as the boys remained undefeated following a dominant 81-42 win.

Jaedyn Brown scored 40 points, every senior scored and Champ Powaukee made some plays you would expect to see in Beasley Coliseum rather than the Pullman HS gym.

Read the full Pullman boys basketball senior night recap here.

Cougs to play first game of the Apple Cup

WSU men’s basketball should be healthy and ready to host the other Washington school at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in Beasley Coliseum.

The Cougs will welcome Noah Williams, their former teammate, back to Pullman. Williams transferring from crimson to purple is certainly one way to burn a bridge but the Cougs cannot be too focused on revenge, even good-natured revenge in which Williams is still viewed as a friend to the team.

HAILEE SPEIR
WSU guard Noah Williams (24) jumps for a layup during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game against Oregon in Beasley Coliseum, March 5.

Be in Beasley.

More WSU men’s basketball

Cougs drop another against UCLA

Cougs spoil career game from Gueye

WSU women’s basketball

WSU women’s basketball to aim high against two top-25 opponents

JULIAN CABALLERO
WSU guard Charlisse Leger-Walker goes up for a shot during an NCAA basketball game against Cal, Sunday, Feb. 5, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Every weekend is a challenge in the Pac-12. This weekend is no different for WSU women’s basketball who will face two top-25 teams on the road. The Cougs already have two ranked road wins but No. 25 Colorado and No. 7 Utah are exactly the teams the Cougs need to beat to go far in the Pac-12.

More WSU women’s basketball:

Kamie Ethridge captures 150th win as D-I head coach, Cougars win 70-60

WSU women’s basketball cannot compete with No. 2 Cardinal, lose 71-38

Featured Stories

Where were you when LeBron became scoring king?

On Tuesday night, LeBron did what no one had done before. He scored his 38,388th point in the NBA.

Daiyan Henley shines at Senior Bowl

WSU recognizes senior linebacker Daiyan Henley before the Apple Cup, Nov. 26.

Henley made a play on the ball and impressed NFL scouts on the next stage of his pro football journey.

WSU track and field

Hinchliffe captures 60-meter freshman record, Cougs show out in Spokane

The Cougs showed up to Spokane, set plenty of personal records and even edged themselves into school history. Who set records on the track and field? Read more here.

WSU swimming

WSU swimming leaves Idaho in its wake with record-setting times

WSU swimming set six records on a senior night against Idaho.

WSU tennis

Cougs need win to break out of slump 

WSU tennis travels to California following their loss to the other Cougs of BYU. They will face Fresno State Friday and Cal Poly Saturday.

Valentine’s Day

We love sports. Sports and the people in sports bring us together. Check out Sports Evergreen’s contribution to your observation of Valentine’s Day.

Cougar sports as dates, ranked

For the love of sports: why Cougs fell for the game 

The Seattle Mariners have broken my heart, but I love them dearly

The most beloved Cougs in recent history 

The Super Bowl

Super Bowl LVII will be the first Super Bowl with two Black starting quarterbacks, two brothers on different teams and there are three Cougs in the Super Bowl!

Kelce Brother Bowl, battle of the offenses; nonetheless, Super Bowl will excite 

Three former Cougs to play in Super Bowl LVII

More from the Daily Evergreen

Hardwood Hypothesis week 17

Predicting the NFL Honors Awards

That is all for this week. Thank you for reading. Go Cougs and go Greyhounds!