A record unblemished; Volleyball wins Cougar Invitational

John Freitag

Freshman outside hitter Emmy Allen celebrates a point against Idaho in Bohler Gym, Thursday, Sept. 19, 2013. 

Chants of “13 and 0” rang through the crowd of 822 spectators in Bohler Gym just minutes after the Washington State University volleyball team took down Nevada.

The win over Nevada on Friday moved the Cougars to 13-0 on the season, wrapping up an undefeated nonconference run for WSU and a fourth tournament victory in as many tries.

Junior middle blocker Ver’Leea Hardaway was named tournament MVP, while senior middle hitter Marcelina Glab and junior outside hitter Jaicee Harris were both named to the all-tournament team.

“Ver’Leea played really well considering she only played three out of the four sets (Friday),” WSU Head Coach Jen Greeny said. “Ver’Leea’s been really steady, especially offensively. I’m really happy with the progress Ver’Leea has made.”

The 13-0 start for the Cougars is the best start for the program since 1997, when the Cougars went 16-0 aided by current Head Coach Jen Greeny and assistant Coach Shannon Hunt.

Opening the Cougar Invitational Thursday, the Cougars swept Idaho 3-0 (25-22; 25-20; 25-17).

Following the sweep of the Vandals, WSU took down Seattle University in convincing fashion Friday morning with set scores of 25-13, 25-15 and 25-20.

The Cougars managed to out-hit Seattle .418 to .120, powered mostly by a .500 performance in the first set.

Hardaway and freshman Kyra Holt led WSU with 12 kills each in the match, followed by Glab and Harris, who both contributed eight kills to the victory.

WSU managed seven service aces in the match against Seattle, with Holt contributing three and senior Camryn Irwin and freshman Tani Stephens both adding two of their own.

The tournament ended for WSU with their 3-1 (25-8; 25-19; 20-25; 25-17) victory over Nevada.

The Cougars again had two players with double-digit kill totals in Holt (13) and Hardaway (10).

Also getting in on the Cougars’ 52 team kills were Harris and Glab each with eight and freshman Emmy Allen with six.

After recording seven against Seattle, the Cougars racked up nine service aces against Nevada.

“(Serving aggressively) isn’t even just all about the aces but just getting the other team out of their system,” Greeny said. “If we can get a free ball back then that server has definitely done their job as far as serving aggressively.”

Irwin led WSU with 96 assists in the tournament while sophomore Kate Sommer led the team with 33 digs.

Up next for the Cougars is a mid-week home matchup against rival No. 5 Washington (10-0) Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. in Bohler Gym.