Cougs ranked in preseason volleyball poll just before season start

More: Two stars playing in Europe; Katy Ryan named to the athletic advisory committee
WSU opposite Katy Ryan celebrates with her teammates after scoring a point during an NCAA volleyball match against UW, Nov. 25.

WSU volleyball is just over a week from their 2023 season, beginning with their 1 p.m. Aug. 25 matchup with Wright State in Louisville, Kentucky. Before the season starts, AVCA volleyball released its preseason rankings. The Cougs ranked No. 21. 

WSU finished last season ranked No. 24 after their second-round exit in the NCAA Tournament. With most of their roster returning and several new additions, they bumped that ranking up and are on the cusp of the top 20. 

With huge matches against Lousiville, Baylor, Texas and Washington slated early in the season, two or more wins will likely push that past that threshold at most minor. Texas ranked in the same preseason poll as the No. 1 team, Louisville ranked No. 4 and Baylor No. 15.

The other Pac-12 schools ranked were Stanford at No. 3, Oregon at No. 9 and USC at No. 22. With ranked competition both in and out of Conference, the schedule is far from a cakewalk for this year. 

The 2023 team is stacked with potential, especially since it is the final year for many players that have been with the program for the past four-plus seasons. In preparation for the season, both Magda Jehlárová and Iman Isanovic are playing for their respective countries in the 2023 Women’s European Volleyball Championships.

Jehlárová is playing for the Czech Republic and Isanovic for Bosnia and Herzegovina. The pool that the Czech is a part of consists of  Greece, Germany, Turkey, Sweeden, and Azerbaijan and Bosnia and Herzegovina goes against Italy, Romania, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Croatia and Bosnia.

Finally, Katy Ryan, the breakout star outside hitter from last season’s team, recently became a part of the Athletics Advisory Committee that aims to provide essential insights and feedback to Director of Athletics Pat Chun and President Kirk Schulz regarding the current happenings of the Pac-12. 

Ryan is one of two current student-athletes a part of the committee, which also features Murrow Dean Bruce Pinkleton, former student-athlete Jack Thompson and ASWSU President Luke Deschenes, among 15 others. 

WSU volleyball begins its season Aug. 25 on the road, and its first home match is Sept. 1 against Northwestern State. The start of Conference play is Sept. 21, with a home match against the rival Huskies.