ASWSU fills judicial board and freshmen delegate positions

ASWSU Senate filled five open positions during Wednesday meeting
The senators appoint three judicial board members and two freshman delegates

The ASWSU Senate filled elected members for five positions at the Senate meeting on Wednesday, including three spots on the judicial board and two freshman delegate positions, all by a unanimous vote.

Each candidate was given five minutes to speak and questioned by the senators after speaking. The new justices for this school year are Eliana Farber, Annika Peterson and Jamie Reed, while this year’s freshman delegates are Emerson Gruits and Grace Carpenter, respectively.

Eliana Farber, the first nominee elected to the judicial board, is a senior political science major on a pre-law track, and plans to go to law school after graduation. Farber currently works at Student Legal Services and is an active member of the WSU Mock Trial Club.

Farber said she hopes to establish trust among students for the members of the judicial board.

Annika Peterson, the second nominee elected to the judicial board, is a senior political science and criminal justice major and plans to go to law school after graduation. Peterson currently works at Student Legal Services, and previously served as the President of the Upsilon chapter of Alpha Delta Pi.

The final nominee elected to the judicial board, Jamie Reed, is a sophomore pursuing a degree in kinesiology and hopes to become a physical therapist with her own practice. Reed was previously a student-athlete on the women’s rowing team at WSU, and also served as the Vice President for Regents Hall during hall government last year.

Reed said she hopes to bring her vast life experiences to the judicial board and amplify student voices in ASWSU activities.

The first nominee elected to the position of freshman delegate, Emerson Gruits, is a nursing major who has been involved in student government at both his middle school and high school for the past 7 years. Gruits served as the Vice President of ASB for his high school in his junior year, as well as the President of ASB his senior year. 

Gruits said he hopes to work with the school to organize blood drives and improve health programs for the dining halls on campus, as well as increase dietary options. In addition, he hopes to reduce stigma surrounding mental health on campus in order to make the subject of mental health more approachable for students.

At the moment, he plans to enter the field of politics in the future with a focus on healthcare.

Grace Carpenter, the second nominee elected to the position of freshman delegate, is a business and marketing major and plans to pursue a career in medical sales. Carpenter has been involved in student leadership throughout high school and served as the cheer captain at her high school during her senior year.

Carpenter said she hopes to be a member of ASWSU, who can be accessible to all freshmen and plans to implement hands-on lessons for freshmen on alcohol safety and how to practice safe drinking habits.

All of the elected justices and delegates were immediately sworn in after being elected.