Through the Lens: WSU football’s fifth-straight loss

An ugly 10-7 loss to Stanford in the pouring rain
Butch+and+Paw-Paw+lead+the+Cougs+onto+the+field+as+they+prepare+to+take+on+Stanford%2C+Nov.+4%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Butch and Paw-Paw lead the Cougs onto the field as they prepare to take on Stanford, Nov. 4, in Pullman, Wash.

Family Weekend is one of the most lively times of the year on the Palouse; businesses are booming and streets are jam-packed with people and cars. One of the biggest attractions of the weekend is the home football game at Martin Stadium. But, on Nov. 4, Martin Stadium was not packed to the brim.

Pouring rain and looking like it would never stop, several people decided to stay home instead of watching their Cougs, firmly holding a four-game losing streak play that lowly Stanford Cardinal, we would win big anyways, right?

That is not what happened. Stanford won an ugly game 10-7 and WSU now has a losing record at 4-5.

Stanford only had 217 yards of total offense and WSU only had 245, specifically only putting up four yards of total rushing. Combined, there were nearly more punts (12) than points scored (17).

Djouvensky Schlenbaker runs through an open gap in the first quarter of WSU’s battle with Stanford, Nov. 4, in Pullman, Wash.

Cam Ward finished completing just 60% of his passes for 241 yards, one TD and one interception. His 113.9 QB rating is not terrible, but it just was not enough to pick up the win in the rain.

But the thing that stood out about his performance was that one interception. It was not a perfect night for Ward. There were several bad throws, partially thanks to the rain and general weather, but he did not looked locked in. On his interception, tight end Cooper Mathers made space on a quick slant route and Ward looked his way.

Throwing the ball low and behind Mathers, the tight end tried to make a play as he was falling to the turf, but with his legs crossed and momentum taking him away from the ball, he tipped the ball up and fell on his back. In the right place in the right time, Stanford’s Scotty Edwards intercepted the ball and began his return into WSU territory.

Cooper Mathers reacts on the ground after tipping the ball up and missing a catch, Nov. 4, in Pullman, Wash.
A Stanford defender intercepts a ball tipped by Cooper Mathers, Nov. 4, in Pullman, Wash.

Despite the ugly loss, the defense for the Cougs played well. Kyle Thornton finished with nine tackles, eight different players participated in a tackle for a loss, Brennan Jackson had 1.5 sacks and Jamorri Colson had an interception and pass break-up in his fantastic performance.

On Stanford’s side, they utilized a two-QB system against the Cougs. Ashton Daniels was the primary passer, attempting 31 throws and airing it out for just 115 yards and an interception. Their other QB was like a more-utilized John Mateer, with the team expecting a rush every time he is on the field.

Justin Lamson attempted just one throw, a completion for 27 yards, but ran the ball 20 times for 54 yards and the only TD for the Cardinal.

WSU was able to shut down the top receiver for Stanford for the most part, as Elic Ayomanor had just four receptions on nine targets, finishing with 53 yards and getting just four yards after reception.

Elic Ayomanor lines up against WSU, Nov. 4, in Pullman, Wash.

For the Cougs, their best receiver was between Lincoln Victor and Josh Kelly.

Victor had the most receptions, with 12, but had just 66 receiving yards. Kelly had the big plays, finishing with four receptions for 82 yards. His biggest play was a leaping grab that sealed a massive play for the Cougs, then he finished off the drive with a TD.

The Cougs will need to brush off the loss, as the season is unforgiving with another matchup Saturday against Cal, hopefully with less rain.

Dean Janikowski lines up for a field goal attempt, Nov. 4, in Pullman, Wash.