Winners and losers from the NFL Draft Combine

Lack of particpation a notable trend
Jaden+Hicks+goes+up+to+defend+the+ball%2C+coming+down+with+the+interception+to+start+the+second+half%2C+Nov.+25%2C+in+Seattle%2C+Wash.+
Jaden Hicks goes up to defend the ball, coming down with the interception to start the second half, Nov. 25, in Seattle, Wash.

The NFL Combine is a chance for collegiate football players to showcase their talents in front of NFL general managersĀ and head coaches. Players go through five major drills such as; 40-yard dash, bench press, 3-cone shuttle, vertical jump and broad jump. They also go through medical examinations. In some cases, players who are not as well known can get a chance to make a name for themselves, while in other cases players can hurt their stock.Ā 

Winners:Ā 

The 40-yard dash is the most popular combine drill. In the NFL speed is everything, especially for a receiver. Xavier Worthy, a wideout from Texas, ran the fastest 40-yard time ever with a 4.21. There has been a plethora of players drafted in the first two rounds of the draft just because they ran a 4.3. Worthy blew that out of the water, and will certainly see improved draft position from it.

UW guard/tackle Troy Fautanu dominated the combine drills and outshined some of the more marquee linemen. Troy moved fluently and was very quick on his feet which is vital for linemenĀ in the NFL.Ā 

Braden Fiske, a defensive tackle from Florida State University, ran a 4.78 40-yard dash which was first among all interior defensive linemen. He also beat Aaron Donald’s 3-cone shuttle with a 4.37. He mightā€™ve gone from a 4ā€“5th round pick to a 2ndā€“3rd round pick which can get him a larger signing bonus.Ā 

Losers:Ā 

Kamren Kinchens, the Miami safety, had a chance to become the top safety prospect. Unfortunately for him, his times in the drills werenā€™t up to par with what a top prospect would be. He ran a 4.65 40-yard dash time which was tied for the WORST time amongst safeties.Ā  This does not bode well, especially combined with the fact that he had the lowest broad jump. As a safety, you need to be able to go sideline to sideline and he didnā€™t show that his body has the capabilities to do that.

Bucky Irving had a very strong season for the University of Oregon totaling over 1,500 yards total for the season along with 13 touchdowns. Unfortunately, Irving is short for an NFL running back, standing at just 5-foot 10-inches and 192 pounds. He ran a 4.55 40-yard dash, which is not horrible, but a 4.3 to mid 4.4 wouldā€™ve done wonders for his otherwise falling draft stock.

Another loser of the combine is the NFL Combine itself, as many star collegiate players decided to not participate in the drills. To top the list are potential top overall picks Caleb Williams (QB-USC), Jayden Daniels (QB-LSU), Marvin Harrison Jr.(WR-OSU), and Brock Bowers (TE-UGA).Ā 

This isnā€™t new, but I canā€™t recall the last combine with this many star players opting out and not wanting to participate. The player’s explanation didnā€™t make sense; Williams said he did not feel the need to throw, Harrison Jr. did not even show up to the combine and Bowers decided he would rather work out at his pro day instead.

View Comments (2)