Two Cougs drafted in inaugural Pro Volleyball Federation college draft

Magda Jehlárová goes at No. 2, Karly Basham at No. 32
Magda+Jehl%C3%A1rov%C3%A1+high-fives+a+young+fan+after+picking+up+a+win+over+Utah+at+home%2C+Oct.+13%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Magda Jehlárová high-fives a young fan after picking up a win over Utah at home, Oct. 13, in Pullman, Wash.

In the inaugural Pro Volleyball Federation college draft, WSU had its representation. Magda Jehlárová and Karly Basham were both selected. With two selections in the draft, the Cougs were one of five programs with multiple players selected.

Eligible players were 18 years or older and defined as college players prior to the draft. Players are not required to sign with their team and if they have remaining college eligibility, they have the option to return to college.  

“We are very excited for Magda and Karly. What a great opportunity to get drafted and be able to stay in the U.S. to play professionally,” head Coach Jen Greeny said. “We are thrilled that Coug fans across the country will get to continue watching both Magda and Karly play at the highest level.” 

With the second overall pick in the draft, the San Diego Mojo drafted Jehlárová but traded her to the Atlanta Vibe for a pair of players. Jehlárová will be beginning her professional career after solidifying herself as the greatest player in WSU volleyball history. Five seasons of great play earned her the position of playing volleyball at the highest level in the U.S.

A five-time All-Pac-12 First Team player, she finished her career averaging 2.32 kills per set, 1.4 blocks per set and a .384% hitting percentage. Over 147 matches and 539 sets, she has over 1,250 kills, 240 digs, 750 blocks and 1,784 total points. However, her best season was this past season.

She led her team to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament after hitting .424% and tallying 294 kills and 169 blocks. She put herself in the WSU, NCAA and Pac-12 record books for career blocks and officially became the most decorated player in program history.

Basham on the other hand, completed her WSU career after three seasons with the program. The talented libero played in 352 sets in her time with the program, finishing with 339 assists, 97 service aces and 1,173 digs. 

She played a vital role in the team’s recent three NCAA Tournament appearances, being a starter for three seasons for a team that won far more than they lost. 

The PVL season begins in late January, with both Jehlárová and Basham to start their professional weeks on Jan. 24 and Jan. 25, respectively.