Sage Brustad joins WSU volleyball for 2024

Transfer from Eastern Washington has four years experience
The+2023+WSU+volleyball+team+during+the+national+anthem+before+an+NCAA+volleyball+match+against+the+Oregon+Ducks%2C+Oct.+27%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
The 2023 WSU volleyball team during the national anthem before an NCAA volleyball match against the Oregon Ducks, Oct. 27, in Pullman, Wash.

After spending four seasons on the Eastern Washington volleyball team, Sage Brustad is making the jump over to Pullman. The 6 foot 1 inch tall outside hitter from Richland, Washington, was a two-time All-Big Sky Second Team player and earned All-Tournament honors in the Big Sky Tournament at the end of the 2023 season. 

Brustad is the first addition to the team after several key pieces departed from a combination of graduation and the transfer portal. With new head coach Korey Schroeder, Brustad will be a part of the first season of his tenure.

With 96 matches and 348 sets under her belt, she continues a yearly tradition of a grad transfer outside hitter joining the ranks in Pullman. Over the last two seasons, it has been Laura Jansen and Iman Isanovic, with it now being Brustad’s turn to make a big impact.

During her four seasons at EWU, she averaged 2.86 kills per set and hit .158% overall, putting up better numbers overall last season, finishing with a career-high 3.45 kills per set and hitting .167%. In total, she had 383 kills in 2023, adding 287 digs, 44 service aces and 50 blocks for the best overall season of her career. 

Just four kills shy of 1,000 for her career at 996, she is in line for several accolades with the Cougs. She just surpassed 750 career digs and sits at 751, has 127 career blocks and has 112 career service aces. 

In 2023, she had four separate 20-plus kills matches, highlighted by a 26-kill, 20-dig performance against Gonzaga.

Likely the first domino to fall for the 2024 season, Brustad is a solid start for the new roster building spearheaded by Schroeder.