Volleyball adds new setter to team

Jaden Walz the newest Coug
Courtesy of WSU Athletics
WSU volleyballs newest addition Jaden Walz.

WSU volleyball has its new setter. Jaden Walz, grad transfer from Bowling Green University, will serve as the team’s setter in 2024 following the departure of Argentina Ung to Arizona State.

Playing at Bowling Green for four seasons, Walz saw increased playing time as setter over the past two years. In 2022, she averaged 6.40 assists per set and finished with 28 service aces. She also finished the season with 228 digs at 1.98 digs per set. 

In 2023, she saw similar playing time but increased her production significantly. At 8.16 assists per set, the only statistic that decreased in the new season was her service aces, which decreased to 18. 

Walz became a more confident attacker, finishing with 55 kills, an increase of 450% from 2022. She also improved immensely on defense, increasing her digs per set to 2.02 and increasing her blocks per set from 0.06 in 2022 to 0.32 in 2023. 

In her two most recent seasons, Walz saw streaks of success. A five-time MAC setter of the week, she also earned Mac All-Tournament team honors in 2023. 

Vital to the Cougar way, who achieved a team GPA of 3.67 in the fall ‘23 semester, Walz also became a two-time Academic All-Mac player.

An interesting thing about Walz’s volleyball journey is that when she got her degree from the university, she received it on the same day her mom got her degree from an online program at the university. Getting their degrees on the same day, the two walked in their commencement together, according to BGSU.