AAPI Student Center to host cultural understanding events this month

Asian American Pacific Islander Student Center events began March 6, will culminate March 29.
The AAPI Student Center’s set up at a recent event at Southside. Photo courtesy of the AAPI Student Center

The Asian American Pacific Islander Student Center will be holding a series of events aimed at community building and cultural understanding among students this month. 

The AAPI Student Center’s initiatives aim to offer involvement opportunities to students, said AAPI Center mentor Viviena Nguyen. One of the recent events was the Alpha Nu Mid-Semester Recruitment, which was held at 7:15 p.m. on March 6 in Spark 227. 

The event was hosted by the Alpha Nu Multicultural Sorority Inc, Nguyen said. This recruitment event was meant to offer students the chance to learn about the sorority’s values, mission and the opportunities it provides for personal and professional growth.

At 3:00 p.m. on March 18 in CUB 414, the AAPISC collaborated with The Crimson Group to present “Debunking Myths Around the Undocumented Community.” This session was meant to dispel misconceptions and promote understanding of the challenges faced by undocumented individuals, she said. 

Throughout the month, the AAPI Student Center will be holding a Chamoy Gummy Sale, organized by Alpha Nu Multicultural Sorority Inc, Nguyen said. The sale will take place on March 19 and 20 at the CUB Spine, contributing to the sorority’s initiatives. 

The AAPI Student Center will also offer Study Tables with Mentors Vivi and Leila at 5:00 p.m. on March 20 and 21 respectively in CUB 414. These sessions provide an opportunity for students to receive guidance, study tips and academic resources in a supportive environment, Nguyen said. 

The month culminates with the Association of Pacific and Asian Women’s General Meetings at 5:00 p.m. on March 22 and 29 in Wilson Short 6, she said. These meetings are meant to offer a platform for students to engage in discussions, activities and community-building initiatives aimed at empowering women of Asian and Pacific Islander descent.