Men’s Golf improves on Day 2, But does not move up in rankings

WSU entered day two in 24th place out of 31 teams
COURTESY OF PACIFIC ATHLETICS
WSU men’s golf won their first tournament in over three seasons with a victory at the Visit Stockton Invitational.

On Day Two of the Goodwin Invitational, hosted by Stanford, WSU entered play in 24th place out of 31 teams. On pace for their worst finish of the year, the Cougs went into day two knowing they needed to improve. They did improve, marginally, but it was not enough to move the needle on their standings. After two days, they remain in 24th place.

A bright spot for the Cougars in Round Two was freshman Ben Borgida, who finished with a score of one-under-par. He moves into 53rd place overall, with a combined score of five-over-par.

Sam Renner is also in 53rd place overall. Renner finished even in Round one, but a five-over performance in Round two has him also sitting at five-over-par through two rounds. He will look to bounce back on day three.

Senior Pono Yanagi improved drastically from his round-one score of nine-over. Yanagi finished one-over-par with a much better Round Two, however, his total score still sits at ten-over-par.

Fellow senior Preston Bebich struggled in Round two. He finished at six-over par, now with a combined score of nine-over.

Finally, Franklin Lydra finished six-over in round two, which moves his total score to eleven-over-par.

Despite their struggles, WSU is still within striking distance of the Top-15, if they can put together an excellent Day Three. Santa Clara, currently in 15th place, is just five strokes ahead of WSU, so the Cougars still have time to save themselves and climb in the standings.