Better weather hurts the Cougars in round two of Golf Championship

Cougars surpassed by three teams who thrive in the sun 
Then-freshman+Amy+Chu+refines+her+driving+skills+along+with+teammates+Madison+Odiorne+and+Emily+Baumgart+during+a+practice+session+on+April+1%2C+2019%2C+at+WSUs+practice+facility.+
JACOB BERTRAM | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE
Then-freshman Amy Chu refines her driving skills along with teammates Madison Odiorne and Emily Baumgart during a practice session on April 1, 2019, at WSU’s practice facility.

After taking advantage of a cold and windy first round, the Cougars were in third place overall through one round of the Pac-12 women’s golf championship in Pullman. Day two saw the weather improve, and it also helped many of the opposing teams to improve. The Cougars slid from third to sixth in Round two and suddenly found their momentum stifled. 

Madelyn Gamble continues to give the Cougars highlights, as she chases a top-three finish overall. The WSU junior is currently tied for third after finishing one-under. She now carries a combined score of three under par and will look to finish strong in round three to secure a podium finish. 

Sarah Skovgaard-Blis also finished one-under par, compiling four birdies and three bogeys. Skovgaard-Blis has a total score of one-over and is tied for 21st overall. 

Freshman Alice Johansson was particularly impressive in round two. She shot one-under par, a nine-stroke improvement from her round one score of seven over. After eight pars to open the day, she eagled hole nine. From there she rattled off eight more pars and a single bogey on the back nine, finishing with a final score of one-below, tied for best on the team in round two. 

Hannah Harrison was even through hole 15 but ran into trouble at the end of the course. The WSU Sophomore bogeyed four holes in a row to end the round, and finished with a score of four over for the day, bringing her total score to seven over. 

Emily Cadwell recovered from a rough first round when she shot six over. Her second round started slow, as she scattered four bogeys in the front nine. However, she turned things around on the back nine, with birdies on holes 12, 15, & 16. Cadwell wound up bringing her day two score to one-over, and her total score is now seven over par, putting her in a three-way tie with Harrison & Johansson. 

The Cougars, despite an overall team improvement from round one to round two, were surpassed in the standings by USC, Oregon, & Arizona State. This leaves them in sixth place overall heading into Round three, which would still be their highest finish ever in the Pac-12 championships. However, with Arizona only one stroke behind them, breathing down their necks, it will not be easy to maintain their position in sixth place. Washington is also close to WSU, only three strokes behind. It will likely be a fight to the finish for the Cougars.