Getting down to business

WSU’s business college is officially being named after one of the university’s most successful alumni. 

The College of Business will hold a renaming ceremony on Friday October 24, from 11:30 to 1:30 p.m. located on the first floor of Todd Hall to kick off a new era for the College of Business.

After Friday the college will officially be named the Carson College of Business.

This ceremony is held to honor Scott and Linda Carson and their contributions to Washington State University.

There will be an overflow area located on the plaza between Todd and Fulmer Hall.

Complimentary lunch, free t-shirts, and giveaways will be held to build spirt around the College, said Sarah Druffel director of strategic marketing and communication.

Scott Carson retired in 2009 as the CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes. He now serves as the chairman in the WSU Foundation campaign to raise $1 billion for WSU, and is a WSU Board of Regents member.

His reasons for raising $1 billion stem from continuing the college’s growth. Carson said it’s a move to extend the resources for future programs and to promote the education of young people that will be future world leaders. 

Carson was able to maneuver his way to the top of the management ladder at Boeing and credits his success to luck and taking on his bosses hardest issues in any situation.

This created his reputation as a risk taker and took him outside his original career path, Carson said.

Through his many years of experience in the business world he has seen the fast growth of technology and all its attributes to the business world.

Taylor Lange, a sophomore studying international business said, “Scott and Linda Carson have given so much to this WSU community and we are so blessed to have such astounding alumni. Because of their generosity I have been one to reap the benefits of their resources including the Carson center.”

Carson said he has been fortunate enough to find himself in a place where he can invest in the education of young people.

He said he doesn’t contribute to WSU to have his name honored. To him and his wife, they are repaid in the reaction of students when they’re informed they have a scholarship to continue their studies or they have been granted a scholarship to extend their education and study abroad.

To the Carsons, education is one of the best investments they could make.

When asked about the objective for the business college, Carson said, “Providing a terrific undergraduate experience, educating young people and preparing them for the work place.”

Programs that particularly capture his energy are the international business programs. He believes this is an important aspect to education.

To Carson, the college of business gives students the opportunity to experience in person what international business entails.

Carson said, the college allows students to discover culture and how countries do business differently throughout the world.

“Treat every job you are ever in like it is the last job you will ever have.” This is Carson’s advice for students who are striving for a successful career.