ASWSU appoints 2 freshman delegates

Colleen McMahon addresses the ASWSU Senate during her appointment as a freshman delegate on the second floor of the CUB, Wednesday, Sept. 3, 2014.

The ASWSU Senate elected two freshman delegates Tuesday to represent the class of 2018.

Colleen McMahon and Robert Kobza were chosen from seven candidates.

McMahon, a freshman business major, was involved in student government all four years of high school, and served as student body president during her senior year. After “donating all of her time to student government” in high school, she said she was not ready to give up being a student leader.

“When I saw ASWSU, I knew that this was the place for me,” she said. “I knew this would be a place where I would fit in, and that it would help make my college experience my own.”

Kobza, a freshman international business major, comes from Manhattan, Kansas, which he said is “a small, isolated town with a state university surrounded by wheat fields.” Throughout high school, he competed in speech and debate, winning a few state events and competing at the national level.

“I believe that there is room for positive change here at WSU, and I want to be a part of that change,” Kobza said in his speech to the Senate. “Not just as a student, but as a leader for my fellow freshmen.”

As freshman delegates, Kobza and McMahon will not be able to vote during Senate meetings. Instead, they will work alongside the senators and with ASWSU committees.

ASWSU Vice President LaKecia Farmer said the delegates’ job is to “extend the voice of the class of 2018 to the Senate.”

Reporting by Jonathan Carrigan