Take mom to authentic Hawaiian Luaua, fundraiser

WSU club aims to help new students, spread awareness of culture

COURTESY OF FLICKR COMMONS

WSU’s Hui Hau’oli ‘O Hawai’i Club helps students from Hawaii transition to Pullman, while also hoping to educate their peers on their culture.

ALANA LACKNER, Evergreen managing editor

With Mom’s Weekend coming up, a lot of people are working hard to make sure this year will be memorable. The WSU Hui Hau’oli ‘O Hawai’i Club is no exception.

The club will be putting on its 33rd Annual Mom’s Weekend Luau on Saturday at the Student Recreation Center, courts six and seven.

The Hawai’i Club is a student-run organization that not only aims to help students from Hawaii transition to life in Pullman, but also to promote awareness about Hawaiian culture.

Hawai’i Club Luau Director Camille Naputo said she believes the club plays an important role on campus and is significant to all students, not just those who are from Hawaii.

“Not only are we a support group for students from Hawaii, but we also want to promote the differences between being Hawaiian and actual Hawaiian culture … to other students in the Pullman-Moscow community,” Naputo said. “It’s not exclusive to students who are just from Hawaii, it’s for everyone.”

The luau itself is a chance to raise awareness that the Hawai’i Club is on campus and there for students. Even more than that, it’s a chance for students and their moms to attend a real Hawaiian luau.

“They get to experience an authentic luau,” Naputo said. “The dances that are taught, the songs that are played, the food that is being served is all very normal to [Hawaiians], but new to someone that is coming from the West Side.”

In addition, the luau also raises money for the Hawai’i Club. Early-bird tickets cost $15, pre-sale tickets cost $17 for students and $19 for the general public. Tickets purchased at the door cost $18 for students and $20 for the general public. The doors open at 2:30 p.m., and the show starts at 3:30 p.m.

The luau itself promises to provide a fun and interesting experience for anyone looking to learn a little more about the Hawaiian culture while spending time with their mom. It should prove to be a taste of Hawaii, without even having to leave Pullman.