Top WSU athletes: No. 10 to 6

Three of five picks are seniors, all athletes chosen have had impact on team since stepping foot on campus

SAM HEIKELL, Evergreen columnist

The following rankings of current athletes at WSU were determined based on a variety of factors, including impact on their teams on and off the playing surface, achievements in competitions and performance of the team in their absence.

1. Viont’e Daniels

With the potential absence of junior forward Robert Franks and sophomore point guard Malachi Flynn announcing he will be transferring, WSU basketball is going to lean heavily on junior guard Viont’e Daniels next season. The 6-foot-2-inch guard from Federal Way is a player who can get it done on both ends of the floor and has been blossoming for the Cougars, improving and seeing the court more and more every season. Daniels likes to take it to the rim, but can knock down perimeter shots as well, shooting a team-best 45.5 percent from beyond the three-point line this past season. Despite a poor regular season record, Daniels got a chance to continue to grow, playing the second-most minutes and emerging as a leader on the team this year.

1. Scotty Sunitsch

Entering his senior year, left-handed pitcher Scotty Sunitsch was tied for ninth in WSU baseball history with 71 career appearances. The Todd Beamer High School alumnus has been a work horse from the very start, appearing in 24 games from the bullpen and making two starts his freshman year. He was selected to be one of the team’s five captains this year and currently holds the lowest ERA out of the team’s starters. Most recently, Sunitsch etched his name into the history books, throwing a no-hitter in the series finale at University of Oregon on Sunday. Striking out nine and walking four batters, he claimed WSU’s first solo no-hitter since Eric Wilkins in 1976.

1. Jasmine Margetts

Earning a team-best 11 individual wins over the season, junior swimmer Jasmine Margetts can do it all. She holds top-10 times for WSU in seven different events and was a member of the 800 yard freestyle relay team that currently holds the school record. Margetts picked up her season-best times in the 200 yard butterfly and the 400 and 200 yard individual medleys at the Pac-12 Championships, finishing 17th, 20th and 21st respectively. She was selected to participate in the USA College Challenge last fall, where swimming stars from the Pac-12 compete against members of the USA Swimming National Team. Aside from swimming, Margetts earned an honorable mention on the Pac-12 All-Academic honor roll.

1. Alivia Brown

Over the last four years golfing for the Cougars, senior and Gig Harbor native Alivia Brown has built up an impressive resume. She became the first WSU freshman to compete as an individual in the NCAA regional tournament and qualify for the NCAA Championships. She hasn’t looked back since, earning at least a top-25 finish in nearly every event this year. Brown has been a leader every season, helping the Cougars maintain a solid record. Last September, Brown captured her first-ever individual win at the WSU Cougar Cup. Her six-under-par performance tied for the second-lowest score in the tournament’s 10-year history. With the ends of the season and her career nearing, she is looking to make one final run in the NCAA tournament.

1. Derek Bayley

Senior Derek Bayley has put together an illustrious collegiate golf career, leading the Cougars to tournament victories since his freshman year. Since the 2014-15 season, when he had the lowest scoring average as a freshman in WSU history, he’s racked up numerous top-five finishes and even has an individual tournament win to show for it. Claiming first place at the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate his sophomore season with a three-round score of 12 under par, Bayley has been a key player in WSU’s golf team. Recently, Bayley earned his best all-time finish away from home, taking sixth place and carding a 201 (-12) at the Bandon Dunes Collegiate. With just one more regular season tournament left in his WSU career, Bayley will look to lead the Cougars to a successful outing at the Pac-12 Championships later this month.