Student leaders inaugurated

New presidents of ASWSU, GPSA hope to grow communities, engagement

President-elect Savannah Rogers and Vice President-elect Tyler Parchem are sworn into office during the LEAD cere

ZACH RUBIO | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ZACH RUBIO | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

BREANNE SEARING, Evergreen reporter

ASWSU President-elect Savannah Rogers and Vice President-elect Tyler Parchem were officially sworn into office during the 23rd Annual Leadership and Engagement Awards of Distinction ceremony Tuesday.

Rogers said her administration is eager to serve the WSU community by empowering students, increasing accountability, growing engagement, prioritizing safety and improving the education of students at WSU.

Shane Reynolds, the current leader of GPSA, inaugurated President-elect Amir Gilmore and Vice President-elect David Silva.

Gilmore said GPSA is committed to working with the community and university partners to provide students with the best academic experience possible.
“People usually ask why I love GPSA,” Gilmore said. “Two words I usually say are commitment and service.”

The 2018 LEAD ceremony recognized both undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, staff and community organizations for their excellency in leadership and community service at WSU.

Five faculty members and 32 undergraduate students received a President’s Award for their service in helping to create a dynamic campus environment. Reynolds and Rogers both received President’s Awards.

Nine graduate students were recipients of the president’s award for going above and beyond in their field of research.

Elizabeth Warren, one of the recipients of the President’s Award, was also this year’s recipient of the $1,000 Virginia E. Thomas Scholarship, which serves to recognize an undergraduate student who embodies leadership, excellency, service and outstanding character. Warren is a junior studying agriculture and food security at WSU.

The Pullman Schools Pantry Program was the only community organization to receive an award. Mary Jo Gonzales, vice president of Student Affairs, said the organization provided an opportunity for students to recognize poverty and to help increase food access and security in the community.

Seven student groups also received awards, including Camp Adventure at WSU, the WSU Diversity in Psychology Committee, La Hermandad De O eMe Te, the Minority Association of Pre-Law, the Panhellenic Council, the Society of Women Engineers and the United Greek Council.

• Student leaders inaugurated

Freshmen mentorship program introduced to student government

• Student leaders inaugurated

New website allows students to get involved

• Student leaders inaugurated

WSU health affected by large influx of freshmen

• Student leaders inaugurated

ASWSU senators, executives self-regulate mandatory suicide awareness training

• Student leaders inaugurated

ASWSU Senate confirms director positions

• Student leaders inaugurated

‘Being a female voice in a room is very important’

• Student leaders inaugurated

ASWSU won’t block students on Twitter

• Student leaders inaugurated

Leaders hope to increase stadium access

• Student leaders inaugurated

Leaders to tackle communication issues

• Student leaders inaugurated

Frost named next WSU student regent

Student leaders inaugurated