Letter from the Mint editor: Goodbye to being an Evergreen editor

Mint editor learned time management, empathy in newsroom

GABRIELLA RAMOS, Evergreen mint editor

This may sound extreme, but I was not sold on attending WSU until I walked into the Evergreen newsroom on my first campus tour in March 2015. Little did I know that over three years later, I would be sitting in my corner of the newsroom typing my farewell letter to leadership in this office.

While this is extremely bittersweet for me, I have every intention of maintaining the relationships I’ve made with other editors and reporters and helping out when I can.

This office has given me more professional development than I ever anticipated when I applied to write for the Life section in fall 2015. Beyond that, I have learned a great deal about this campus and community and all of the incredible people who live here.

I have had the opportunity to sit in on important conversations with administrators and ask tough questions. I’ve had the chance to tell the stories of students whose future has been put in jeopardy by budget cuts.

Although I am moving on to pursue my passion for real estate, I will continue to seek out interesting stories in the community and make sure they find their way to the Evergreen editors.

More than anything else, being an editor at the Evergreen has taught me how much this small town has to offer students.

I’ve learned when to just put down my pencil and listen to the stories of those who have experienced hardship and success. I’ve come to value my time and spend it where it matters.

This experience has given me more than I can ever return and I will be forever grateful.