Palouse chefs giving ‘Culinary Tour’ at Uniontown’s Dahmen Barn

Learn to make various cuisines under expertise of regional chefs
LUKE HOLLISTER | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE
One course in the Culinary Tour of the Palouse program will teach participants how to bake bread.

Artisans at the Dahmen Barn are taking locals on a Culinary Tour of the Palouse from April–September in a series of courses taught by regional chefs.

Sponsored by the State of Washington’s tourism department, the program will bring in chefs on the Palouse to showcase their expertise and culinary techniques.

The chance to promote the Palouse area, Palouse farmers and Palouse products inspired the program, said Julie Hartwig, event curator and Barn manager-curator.

Most people do not know the difference between lentil, canola and wheat, and what they are used for, Hartwig said. The Palouse has a backyard of farmers and chefs using fresh ingredients from the area.

“It not only supports the locals, but you also know where your food is coming from,” Hartwig said.

Yvve Austin, The Black Cypress chef de partie, said he hopes the participants gain a deeper appreciation for the ingredients they use on a daily basis.

“We live in a fertile area and are lucky for it,” Austin said.

He tries his best to purchase from local farmers, as he said buying locally sourced, well-treated ingredients yields the best results.

Austin will teach Pozole, Traditional Mexican Stew from noon–3 p.m. May 4.

He is focusing on Mexican cuisine and will teach nixtamalization, a Mexican technique of treating in an alkaline solution to make hominy or masa. Austin said the ethos of Mexican cuisine is about freshness and locality, which makes it adaptable to any region.

As a part of the Culinary Tour, Craig and Jessica Mariner, chefs and Storybook Baking Company owners, will teach sourdough baking in Artisans Bread with Shepherd’s Grain Flour from 10 a.m.–2 p.m. this Saturday.

Jessica Murray, WSU School of Hospitality Business Management professor, will co-teach Baking the Palouse: Unexpected Grains and Legumes with Mat Morgan, WSU Marriott Foundation Hospitality and Culinary Innovation Center director and executive chef. The course registration is open until April 24 and the course itself is set from 10 a.m.–2 p.m. April 27.

Morgan will also teach Raviolli Al Uovo from 1 p.m.–4 p.m. June 8.

Chef Aron Little will teach Sauces and Gravies from Around the World to help differentiate an American gravy from a French one from 1 p.m.–4 p.m. May 18.

Larissa’s Apron will teach South Indian Cuisine with Palouse-Grown Chickpeas to show the art of simmering and explore the flavors of India from 6–9 p.m. July 12.

Each event registration costs $55.

Hartwig said it was not easy picking the chefs for this program. But if enough interest prevails, the finest chefs on the Palouse can come together to educate and inspire the community.

View Comments (1)