Professor-curator and artist to give Indigenous arts talk, workshops on campus

Michael Holloman and Jacy SoHappy visiting Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art Feb. 22–24
COURTESTY OF DEBBY STINSON
Museum visitors viewing exhibits from “Here in a Homemade Forest: Common Reading Connections.”

Michael Holloman, WSU art professor and curator, and artist Jacy SoHappy will give an Indigenous Arts Talk from noon–1 p.m. Feb. 22 at the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art.

Holloman and SoHappy will discuss the Indigenous work featured in the museum’s ongoing exhibition “Here in a Homemade Forest: Common Reading Connections.” That weekend, SoHappy will lead 12-person Round Bag Weaving Workshops from 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Feb. 23 and Feb. 24.

Time as well as numerous pieces of art go into one Indigenous creation, such as twine making, yarn dying and storytelling, SoHappy said.

“Indigenous art in general is underrated,” SoHappy said.

Holloman will emphasize the importance of intergenerational knowledge and treating these pieces of art as living items, separate from the material they are made of, according to the Indigenous Arts Talk webpage. SoHappy will add context based on her experiences as an artist.

Participants will be using smooth twine and acrylic yards for the workshops, SoHappy said.

SoHappy’s beading journey has a love-frustration relationship. Her first weaving workshop was with her grandmother when she was 12, SoHappy said. Her grandmother learned this art from her mother, and it has been taught down generations.

“Now I pour those teachings into other’s cups as [it] was done for me,” SoHappy said.

The talk and workshops are free of cost, with registration required for the workshops. Participants can register for the Feb. 23 workshop or Feb. 24 workshop on their webpages.

This event is going to be held in the Pavilion Gallery and will also be live-streamed and recorded from WSU Global Campus’ YouTube channel for those who cannot attend in person.

SoHappy said creating these pieces of art with good intentions for people who will wear them in the Indigenous community will help broaden their cultural identity.

“Look at all these girls lined up in their best,” SoHappy said, quoting her grandmother. “They must be loved.”