Christmas music is overrated

Start your Halloweek off with spooky toons from various genres

Christmas music is overrated

Feel like you're forgetting something? It's probably all these sick Halloween jams you traded out in favor of Christmas carols.

COURTESY OF PIXABAY

COURTESY OF PIXABAY

COURTESY OF PIXABAY

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen columnist

We are deep into Spooktober and the evidence is all around us. Colorful leaves are falling all over campus, pumpkins can be found in front of every door and Halloween decorations are the first thing you see when you walk into Walmart.

The one thing that seems to be missing from our favorite time of year is a selection of songs that captures the spirit of the season. That’s right, I’m talking about Halloween music.

Halloween music is a much more obscure genre than its Christmas counterpart. While there are literally thousands of Christmas songs that are played months before the actual holiday, there are very few commonly-known Halloween songs.

Finding the perfect Halloween playlist can add that extra element of spook you may be missing from your Halloween festivities. While rap, trap or whatever else rhyming with “ap” the teens may be listening to today are scary in their own respects, Halloween music is the perfect scary symphony for all your Spooktober endeavors.

“This is Halloween” is a good starting point for the perfect Halloween playlist. Add in some “Thriller,” “Monster Mash” and “Spooky Scary Skeletons” and you will have a total of four songs. All joking aside, these songs are the quintessential Halloween tunes and are necessities during October.

If you are unwilling to hand-craft your own artisan playlist, Spotify has several good options. I recommend the Ultimate Halloween playlist for a good mix of rock, pop and spooky classics.

If you’re looking for music to study to, there is no shortage of instrumental Halloween music. YouTube has several hour-long compilations of Halloween-themed instrumental songs. Some even have fun and spooky names for extra entertainment value.

If you really want to scare your friends, start playing Christmas carols in October. This will be sure to elicit terrified shrieks as your fellow college students start imagining winter break and the end of fall semester.

Whatever your music tastes may be, rest assured that there are Halloween songs out there for you. You shouldn’t feel pressured to listen to mainstream music during the month of fright when there are plenty of quality Halloween songs out there.

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen mint editor

Emma Ledbetter is a freshman microbiology major from Newcastle, WA.