Cougar swim falls to Wyoming

WSU lost to Cowgirls for first time ever Friday in Gibb Pool

Freshman+backstroke+and+butterfly+swimmer+Sophia+Balmaceda+races+in+the+women%27s+200+backstroke+against+University+of+Wyoming+on+Friday+at+Gibb+Pool.+
Freshman backstroke and butterfly swimmer Sophia Balmaceda races in the women's 200 backstroke against University of Wyoming on Friday at Gibb Pool.

RYAN PUGH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

RYAN PUGH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ISAAC SEMMLER, Evergreen reporter

It had been 25 years since the WSU and University of Wyoming swim teams faced off when they met Friday night in Gibb Pool, with the Cougars holding a 3-0 all-time advantage against the Cowgirls.

However, WSU got off to a rocky start, winning just one of the first four events. This created a large gap that proved to be too hard to close as the team fell to Wyoming 140-122.

Despite the loss, it was a record night for WSU as eleven Cougars posted season-best times. WSU Head Coach Matt Leach said he was proud of his team’s performance.

“You know we got off to a rough start and that was frustrating,” Leach said. “However, these girls really picked it up and performed great in the majority of our events so I’m proud of them for that and we’ll look to carry that momentum heading into Houston next week.”

Freshman Keiana Fountaine extended her tremendous first-year campaign as she won three of her four events. Though she struggled in the 100-yard butterfly, Fountaine continued to be a threat in 200-yard freestyle where she finished first at almost three seconds better than her opponent at 1:49.27.

Junior Ryan Falk and sophomore Taylor McCoy also had phenomenal performances as Falk took second place in the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:17.55 and first in the 500-yard freestyle at 5:03.28.

McCoy had some tough competition in the 200-yard backstroke in a nail-biting race where she took first place by less than two-tenths of a second. She also won the 200-yard individual medley, beating fellow Cougar sophomore MacKenzie Duarte by two seconds.

Despite two recent losses, Leach said he thinks it is great WSU has faced some incredibly tough schools to help the team improve as swimmers and give them an edge heading into the Phil Hansel Invitational on Friday.

The Cougars will compete Friday through Sunday at the Phil Hansel Invitational in Houston, Texas, which will be their last meet before opening up conference competition in January. The team will not return to Gibb Pool until the Feb. 16 meet against University of Utah.

ISAAC SEMMLER, Evergreen reporter

Isaac is a freshman sports management major with a minor in communication. He is from Tacoma, Washington.

• Cougar swim falls to Wyoming

‘The start of my goodbye’

• Cougar swim falls to Wyoming

Cougars look for revenge against Arizona

• Cougar swim falls to Wyoming

Sports

Swim team competes in final meet of 2018

• Cougar swim falls to Wyoming

WSU heads to capital to face Hoyas

• Cougar swim falls to Wyoming

Sports

Women’s basketball looks to pick up first win Friday

• Cougar swim falls to Wyoming

WSU volleyball hosts last four games of season

• Cougar swim falls to Wyoming

Mens

Men’s basketball loses second game of season

• Cougar swim falls to Wyoming

Mens

Athlete of the Week: Robert Franks Jr.

• Cougar swim falls to Wyoming

Mens

Men’s basketball takes off on first road game

• Cougar swim falls to Wyoming

Week 11 Pac-12 North power rankings

Cougar swim falls to Wyoming