Felix rebounds from injury to achieve vaulting success

Kristine Felix practices in the Indoor Facility, Monday, Jan. 27.

In her junior year of high school, Kristine Felix fractured her left fibula at the beginning of the track and field season and her future in pole vaulting came to a sudden halt. 

For Felix, it couldn’t have come at a worse time.  It was when colleges and coaches across the country would be looking for the “next big thing” in pole vaulting. 

Felix knew that after her injury, she had a long road to recovery before coaches could scout her and she could get back to competing at what she loved. 

“My rehab was very hard,” Felix said.  “The pain, I cried at night just because it was sore.  I wasn’t even moving and it was sore.  Never mind jumping.  I had to re-learn how to walk again.” 

After countless hours of rehab, Felix was cleared to compete again at the end of her junior year of high school.  Prior to her fractured fibula, Felix never experienced taking significant time off.  As resilient as ever, she broke multiple records in the state of Hawaii during her sophomore and junior years of high school in pole vaulting. 

“As a sophomore breaking the record and then again as a junior, I thought I could definitely do something about this and try to get a scholarship somewhere, to help pay for my education,” Felix said.   

Felix said she has many people in her life that continue to influence her, but perhaps the most prominent person, is none other than her father.  An avid track star himself, he ran cross-country in high school and introduced Felix to the sport of track and field.    

It wasn’t until high school, however, that Felix started learning and practicing pole vault.  She said her high school coach taught her the basic fundamentals and the strategy behind pole vaulting.  After receiving a spot on the Washington State track and field team, Assistant Coach Matt McGee, who is a specialist in jumps, helped transform Felix into a Pac-12 champion. 

“He (McGee) really understands all the aspects of pole vaulting,” she said.  “Even our bodies and how healthy we have to be.” 

Felix is from Wailuku, Hawaii, a small town on the island of Maui, similar to the size of Pullman.  At a young age, her parents enrolled her in gymnastics, where she attributes her easy transition to pole vaulting. 

“Gymnastics is really where I got my background in sports, that’s how I got strong, and just that chorus is so great for pole vaulting,” said Felix. 

For many, being raised in a small Hawaiian town, then attending school in Pullman might seem like quite a culture shock, but not for Felix.  The environment and the supportive community are similar to what she experienced at her home in Maui. Perhaps that’s why Felix treats the track and field team, especially her fellow pole vaulters, like family.

After a championship in her freshman year, the bar is set high for Felix and as she continues to improve as an athlete she will continue to raise it.  

“I will go as far as it will take me. As fast as I am, as strong as I am, as technically perfect as I am, I will get there,” she said.  “Whatever that height comes out to be, if it’s good enough to get into the Olympics, then I’ll do it.”