Reports of active shooter on CWU campus false alarm

CARMEN JARAMILLO, Evergreen reporter

“No confirmed shots, suspects, and no injuries reported,” Central Washington University Police tweeted last night at 7:27 p.m., two hours after warning students of an alleged active shooter on campus.

CWU students received a campus-wide alert at 5:25 p.m. telling them to stay out of the area around Lind Hall on the south side of campus.

Videos and photos of students barricaded in buildings and empty campus streets circulated online. Unverifiable accounts online related rumors of multiple shooters, shots fired and injuries on the Ellensburg campus.

The university’s official twitter page instructed students to shelter in place and wait while police secured the campus.

CWU president James Gaudino issued a statement Wednesday night confirming reports that the active shooter had been a false alarm.

“I am greatly relieved that the report was not true,” Gaudino wrote. “I would like to thank our campus police department for their efforts to search and secure all the affected campus buildings and to ensure the safety of our students, staff, and faculty.”

Campus activity would resume regular operation Thursday, he wrote.

This story has been updated to reflect the correct time for when the first alert was sent out, that was 5:25 p.m.

CARMEN JARAMILLO, Evergreen reporter

Carmen is a senior majoring in multimedia journalism and political science from Port Townsend, Washington