School of music to host student performances

Instrumental, vocal events scheduled for February; festival will showcase faculty works based on poem

The+WSU+School+of+Music+will+showcase+several+events+in+the+coming+weeks%2C+honoring+student+and+faculty+performers.+Most+events+are+free+for+students+and+the+general+public.+A+full+list+of+programming+can+be+found+on+the+school+of+music+website.+

BEN SCHUH | EVERGREEN PHOTO ILLUSTRATION

The WSU School of Music will showcase several events in the coming weeks, honoring student and faculty performers. Most events are free for students and the general public. A full list of programming can be found on the school of music website.

TRINITY PIERCE, Evergreen reporter

Every week, the school of music puts on a variety of performances comprised of talented musicians from WSU.

A complete list of events is available on the school of music website.

This evening there will be a student recital featuring Jacob Zollers on the trombone at Bryan Hall Theater from 8-10 p.m. The pipe organ and piano will be played along with the trombone. This event is free to the public.

On Friday, there will be another student recital consisting of soprano Clare Sullivan and pianist Sophia Turnbull. This recital will take place at Bryan Hall Theater from 4:10-5 p.m. It is open to the public without charge.

Friday evening will also feature a faculty performance in the Kimbrough Concert Hall from 8-10 p.m. It costs $10 for general admission, $5 for senior citizens and non-WSU students and is free for WSU students with Cougar Card. As a part of the Faculty Artist Series, revenue from the ticket sales will go to the School of Music Scholarship Fund.

The presenter of the program is Mark Stevens, a new faculty member in the school of music.

For the faculty in the program, the event is more than just an opportunity to play — it’s an opportunity to connect, Stevens said.

“Frankly, what we do, if we just do it in our own offices or practice room, I don’t really see the point,” said Stevens. “Music is to communicate and to better the world around us, whether that’s our own school, the Pullman-Moscow area, the state or the region at large.”

The program will focus on contemporary American piano music ranging from the 20th century to approximately the past 10 years.

This program is unique because it will feature a cross-departmental collaboration. Cameron McGill, an instructor in the English department, will introduce a music piece titled “No Longer Very Clear,” which was inspired by a poem.

The events resume after the weekend, starting on Tuesday with a treble, tenor, bass choir concert from 8-10 p.m. in Bryan Hall Theater. It is free to the public.

On Wednesday, there is a jazz forum from 7-7:30 p.m. in Kimbrough 101. Students and faculty in the School of Music will be playing for the general public during this casual performance. This event is also free.

Finally, the month of February ends with the first concert in the Festival of Contemporary Art Music series. The concert lasts from 8-10 p.m. in Bryan Hall Theater. It opens with the premiere of four pieces composed by Greg Yasinitsky, WSU Regents professor of music. It also features James M. Stephenson’s “The Devil’s Tale.” The concert is open to the public free of charge.