Tennis takes down No. 37 Kansas State

BEN SCHUH | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Senior Tiffany Mylonas returns a ball during doubles play against Seattle on Feb. 22 in Hollingbery Fieldhouse.

TY EKLUND, Evergreen reporter

No. 31 Cougar tennis took down No. 37 Kansas State 4-2 on Thursday in the Sunflower State.

WSU (11-2) opened the match in Manhattan, Kansas by capturing the doubles point over the Wildcats (7-3). Freshman Hikaru Sato and senior Tiffany Mylonas won their match 6-4 and junior Jovana Knezevic and senior Aneta Miksovska clinched the point with a 6-4 victory as well.

In singles play, Sato fell 6-4, 6-2 to allow the Wildcats to tie the score at 1-1. Mylonas then claimed her team-leading 19th victory of the season to give the Cougars back the lead.

Sophomore Michaela Bayerlova, the No. 35 ranked player nationally, took down Kansas State sophomore Margot Decker in three sets to put WSU up 3-1.

Junior Melisa Ates, the No. 106 player, couldn’t keep pace with freshman Maria Ponomareva and lost 6-0, 7-5, pulling Kansas State within one point of the Cougars.

With the match on the line, freshman Savanna Ly-Nguyen stepped up to clinch the 4-2 win for WSU. She defeated her opponent 7-5, 7-6 (7-5).

Miksovska’s did not finish her match but she led 7-5, 3-2.

Head Coach Lisa Hart said she was disappointed with the Cougars loss to Gonzaga on Sunday and was happy with how they recovered against the Wildcats.

“I am proud of the way our team responded today,” Hart said in a WSU news release. “We will enjoy the win today then prepare for two very solid teams in Nebraska and Iowa State Saturday.”

The Cougars continue their road trip Saturday when they face Nebraska and Iowa State at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. respectively at the Dillion Tennis Center in Lincoln, Nebraska.