Board approves Murrow split, medical college faculty plan

The WSU Board of Regents approved the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication splitting into three departments, as well as a faculty plan for the newly established Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine, at its meeting on Friday.

The Murrow College will now consist of three departments, by the names of journalism and media production, communication and society, and strategic communication, according to an action item sponsored by Provost Dan Bernardo.

This change reflects a previous regents action, which earlier this semester created three degrees in the College of Communication, correlating to the new departments.

Interim dean and professor Bruce Pinkleton said this would help Murrow students moving forward, especially those who plan to double major, major and minor or earn a dual degree in the college.

“All of these things are basically better for students as they transition to the workplace,” Pinkleton said.

The regents also approved a faculty plan for the College of Medicine, according to a WSU news release.

Under this plan, a new organizational structure will be created so the college of medicine can recruit and retain faculty to provide clinical-based services and clinical education to medical students, according to the second regents action item.

The faculty plan will enable the college to carry out its mission, according to the action item, and provide the authority to WSU President Kirk Schulz, or his designee, to operate other agreements related to the faculty plan.

The plan includes four provisions, the first of which will create a 501(c)(3) entity, or tax-exempt organization, that works independently from WSU, according to the action item.

The plan will also allow the entity to bill and retain all revenues it acquires for professional services. It will allow the tax-exempt organization to create a competitive, incentive-based structure for the hired faculty practitioners, according to the news release.

The clinical services revenue garnered by the independent non-profit entity would be used in support of the college’s operations, according to the action item.

The operating agreements WSU enters into with the entity will encompass aspects such as the use of space, teaching services and provisions of administrative personnel, according to the action item.