Panel to discuss whether freedom still rings in U.S.

In observance of National Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the Center for Civic Engagement will host a panel discussing the status of the freedom marcher’s dream today.

The panel, “Status of the Dream: Does Freedom Ring?” will run from 3 – 4 p.m. in Butch’s Den, according to a WSU news release. The discussion is hosted by the Center for Civic Engagement (CCE) as part of the Public Square program, according to their website.

All public square events are free and open to anyone. All participants are welcome to share their thoughts respectfully, according to the CCE’s website.

One topic the panel will discuss is about the progress of the nation in achieving the dream King described in his August 1963 speech, according to the WSU OrgSync’s event page. The creed, “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal,” is going to be part of that discussion, according to the event page.

Erin McIlraith, CCE marketing and communications director, created the event on Jan. 6. Over 30 people have registered to participate in the event on OrgSync. There is limited space still available.

For Global Campus students, the Center for Civic Engagement’s will live stream the event on their Youtube channel. To participate in the discussion, Global Campus students can use the YouTube chat feature in the live stream, according to the CCE’s website. A Google account is required to use this chat feature.

Reporting by Sarah Olsen