A letter from the Mint editor: Finding the hidden gems

JENNIFER LADWIG, Former Evergreen mint editor

Although considered by anyone who isn’t a Coug to be a Podunk town in the middle of wheat (and they’re really not too far off), Pullman has a lot to offer. As college students, we may crave the bustle of the big city, but treasures can be found on the Palouse that can balance out the slow day-to-day drone of living in a small town.

Thus Mint is born: a weekly entertainment and culture magazine paired with The Daily Evergreen. My goal for this new section is to bring the unnoticed and the pushed aside to life. Pullman is simply a phase for so many of us, it is just a place we live for four years before moving on. So what gems are here that we have yet to discover? Or what talents pass through the WSU campus that go unnoticed?

Mint is The Daily Evergreen’s attempt to uncover these quirks that are unique to Pullman. As we pass through Pullman as students or residents, I think it is important to get the most out of the experience. Get to know where you are living, so that when you look back on your time here you have more to remember than WSU’s campus and that killer party.

After working as a life reporter for three semesters, life editor for a semester and editor-in-chief for a semester, I have learned a lot about our campus and community, much more than the average citizen of Pullman, I’m sure. But I do not know everything.

So, I encourage your suggestions. If you know of an awesome event (concert, art show, dog meet and greet, anything really), let me know. If you know a really dope person, let me know. This is your newspaper, I want to know what you want to see and read about, and you all know each other best.

If you have a tip or suggestion about something you want to see in Mint, or themes you would like to see, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

I intend to cover topics ranging from marijuana to the history of Pullman’s downtown. If there is something you want to know about, bring it to my attention, and I will make it happen.

Pullman is a beautiful place once you get to know it. Like any person, what you see on the outside may be rough. Those wheat hills can really look like shit when they’re all brown and dead. But getting to know your town gives it a whole new depth and lets you understand where you’re living. Let’s find out the Palouse’s secrets together, shall we?