Trump supporters celebrate victory

College Republicans President James Allsup waves a Trump flag in celebration of Donald Trump’s victory.

Students celebrating president-elect Donald Trump’s victory were met by counter protesters on the Glenn Terrell Friendship Mall on Wednesday.

Trump supporters gathered at 11 a.m. in response to the candidate’s upset victory. Students waved Trump flags, many of them wearing “Make America Great Again” hats and Trump T-shirts.

“You couldn’t ask for a better day and a better outcome across the country,” said College Republicans Vice President Jacob Heinen.

He said Trump had little room for error during the election, but, in the end, was able to pull through with a win.

“I personally have always had a gut feeling that Trump was going to win,” Heinen said. “This is one of the biggest upsets in the history of American politics.”

The Trump supporters were told they should wait to celebrate until after things had cooled down, Heinen said, but that there was never any compassion shown to Trump supporters.

“We are just hanging out, talking politics and celebrating,” he said, “enjoying the day and looking forward to a better America.”

Heinen said there were about 15 or 20 College Republicans present at the event, and many people yelled and swore at them during the event.

“People should start discussing and put feelings aside,” said Ruth-Fiam Nord, another WSU Trump supporter.

Nord said people took things Trump said out of context and things were said about him that aren’t true.

“Trump was never openly against any groups,” she said.

Nord said she believes people realized the need for an efficient president. With a Republican Congress and a Supreme Court soon to follow suit, she said the government will be more efficient overall.

The work Trump supporters put in over the past year, Nord said, has not been for nothing.

“My voice has been heard,” she said.

The counter protest started at around noon, with students holding signs and chanting.

Dalia Hernandez Farias, a junior history and English education major, said many tears were shed after the election results came out.

“We are mourning, upset and angry,” she said.

She said the purpose of the protest was to keep people aware of what racism and white supremacy look like.

“It’s not so much that Hillary lost, but that Trump won,” Hernandez Farias said. “He is not our president; we do not support him.”

She said she fears Trump’s outbursts will further divide the country.

“Our own ancestors faced oppression,” she said. “Now we have to face it again.”

Tally Ellis, a junior sociology major, said being a part of the protest changed the way she thinks, as well as exposed her to diversity and the opportunity to meet new people.

“This is where I have the most voice,” Ellis said.

Ellis said she was disappointed and angry with the results and that she was there to be with other students who felt the same way.

“I’m not here to fight,” she said. “I’m here to be with a community.”

Eli Clayton, a sophomore communication major, said there is a lot of misunderstanding and a lot of people don’t want to come together and talk with one another.

“They are not having conversations,” he said, “just butting heads.”

He said the two groups are not too different and just have opposing opinions.

“The main thing,” Clayton said, “is to come at people as human beings with love.”