Letter from the editor: ‘This conversation is far from over’

Thanks for reading stories from the first part of The Daily Evergreen’s special series “Open Minds | Students, Stigmas and Mental Health.”

This series is a continuation of our award-winning mental health series of the same name from last fall. The editorial staff chose not to change the name of the series for the same reason it decided to cover the same topic it did last year: This conversation is far from over.

In The Daily Evergreen this week, you will find columns and articles focusing on both the realities of mental health and the false stigmas that surround the issue. In addition, there will be tips for stress management and how to cope with the mental health issues college students face, and you will learn about the resources available on campus to help accomplish both of these things.

Today’s cover story focuses on the concept of “Cougs help Cougs” and how to be a better bystander when you notice a friend or acquaintance exhibiting signs of depression. In college, when both stress and societal pressures are at all-time highs, one needs a tight-knit community of colleagues for support.

Washington State University has that kind of community because of students like you who have made the conscious effort to help out other Cougs who were in need, especially in regard to mental health.

Read this story, and all others like it this week, and make yourself a better friend, a better coworker, a better classmate, or a better staff member.

And above all else, remember this: Cougs help Cougs.

Dustin Brennan is a senior communication major from Fife. He can be contacted at 335-3194 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this letter from the editor are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.