ASWSU begins #DearWSU campaign

In a continuing effort to connect with students and university officials, ASWSU’s twitter campaign #DearWSU is being re-instituted on Nov. 2.

The goal of the campaign is to create a way for the students to voice their opinions and ideas, ASWSU President Kyle Geiger said.

“We want to get feedback from students on what they want us to focus on, from small tasks to large initiatives,” he said.

The initiatives could range from topics on food served in dining halls, new forms of entertainment on campus, and improvements to transportation or parking. What the initiatives are will be determined by students who share their voice.

Geiger gave an example of one such initiative that was acted upon last year as the result of students sharing their support online through the campaign.

The door handles on the outside of the entrance to the CUB were reversed and placed on the inside. Before the handles were switched, many people were confused when trying to enter the building and pulled on the doors when they were supposed to push. This change led to a positive response from students.

Another initiative success was the topic of opening the Holland and Terrell Library 24/7 for finals week. The decision was met with a round of applause from students who needed access to materials at all hours and a quiet and constructive place to study.

ASWSU Assistant Director of Communication Beth Bloomer said there are a few changes to the campaign that will hopefully gather more response.

First, the campaign this year will last two weeks instead of one. Students will be given more time to think about issues they are concerned about and give more people a chance to have their voice heard, she said.

Another way ASWSU will try to generate more responses is by hosting a booth both inside the CUB and outside on the Terrell Mall during the campaign to provide information and put on giveaways, promotions, and activities.

“We want to re-vamp it this year,” Bloomer said. “Try and campaign even more and get people more excited about voicing their opinions in a constructive way.”

The last day of the campaign will be a recap of all of the week’s events, things that have changed, and some of the biggest issues or concerns students might want addressed.

“This is the part of the campaign where we get to see exactly what students are concerned about and then relay that to the administrators to hopefully begin implementing change,” ASWSU Director of Communication Zak Cherif said.

To get involved and have your voice heard, tweet – or post – your opinions and questions to #DearWSU.