Grad letter: Saying goodbye doesn’t mean leaving forever

Family, Evergreen staff taught graduating editor valuable lessons, helped her improve

COURTESY OF MADYSEN MCLAIN

Madysen McLain, Evergreen social media and engagement editor, would like to thank the student newspaper staff and her family for supporting her ideas — no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen roots editor

As the tassels turn on May 8, I will be considered a WSU alumna. I will virtually say goodbye to friends at The Daily Evergreen and peers from other WSU organizations I have been involved in.

My love for writing started as a young child. I am not sure when exactly I knew I loved the written word. Maybe it was during the times I would visit my dad’s high school English classroom. His bookshelves were lined with classics like “The Odyssey” and “To Kill a Mockingbird.” Maybe it was the Sunday comics my mom would hand me that popped with color — the black and white pages were just as good.

I joined the Evergreen team as a freshman lured in by free pizza. Now, my love for the student newspaper is far more than getting free food.

During my three years at The Daily Evergreen, I have held various leadership roles, like being the assistant news editor, the Roots editor and currently, the social media and engagement editor. I learned so much in such a short time. I am grateful I had the opportunity for growth in all these roles, and hope it will translate well into whatever career path I choose.

I would like to thank my family members who have supported my dreams since childhood. I would also like to thank my friends at the Evergreen and at WSU who have taught me how to laugh during stressful times and who have watched me grow over the years.

The professors I have interacted with at the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication always go out of their way to connect students with internship opportunities, professional networks and help with classwork. Thank you for all that you do on and off the clock.

One of my favorite characteristics of the students who work for the Evergreen is the unwavering support to try new ideas. Last semester as the Roots editor, I thought a podcast would be a great way to reach those who would rather catch up about WSU while doing chores or studying. But more importantly, other editors at the time and I felt the need to have student leaders of color share their stories. With many emails back and forth and a few Zoom recordings, the idea turned into reality. Now, listeners can access two episodes of Cultivating Roots on Soundcloud.

Last semester was the last time I stood in the newsroom as a WSU student, however, it definitely will not be the last time I connect with current and future Evergreeners.