WSU to aid international students’ vaccination process upon return to campus

Vaccine clinics will occur during Week of Welcome

Incoming freshmen Tara Wallack received one dose of the vaccine before moving to Pullman. Her second dose was organized by the university and administered within ten days of being on campus, she said. 

JACQUI THOMASSON | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

MOLLY WILK, Evergreen reporter

WSU’s International Student and Scholar Services is partnering with Cougar Health Services to ensure international students have easy access to the COVID-19 vaccine and can return to campus safely.

Around seven percent of the student body falls into the international student and scholar category, said Kate Hellmann, WSU International Programs Student and Scholar Services director. Some students have been out of the country where vaccines are not as available as in the U.S.

Hellmann said CHS plans to make the return to campus as seamless as possible; however, the same restrictions to students opting out of COVID-19 vaccination because of personal, religious or medical reasons will be applied. 

CHS will likely host a series of vaccine clinics during Week of Welcome so individuals wishing to get vaccinated have access to the vaccine, she said.

“I’ll say something that I said before the pandemic … Pullman is really a safe community, and I feel that the guidelines and the information being put out are all intentionally in order to support the health and safety of everyone, including the international community,” Hellmann said. 

Students eligible to work on-campus under their F-1 student visas are still required to get vaccinated for employment at any WSU-affiliated job, she said. 

Domestic students must show proof of vaccination with a vaccine approved by the U.S., but international students can provide proof of any vaccine authorized by the World Health Organization, Hellmann said. 

Incoming freshmen Tara Wallack arrived on June 16 in Pullman from her home in Canada to start her collegiate athletic career. 

Wallack already received one dose of the vaccine before moving to Pullman. Her second dose was organized by the university and administered within ten days of being on campus, she said

“I didn’t really know what to expect,” Wallack said, “but now that I’ve gotten here it doesn’t even feel like COVID exists.”

Wallack settled in quickly despite what she thought being on campus might look like during a pandemic. She said she was surprised to see no masks or strict regulations being enforced.

“We really want [international students] to know that we recognize what they bring to the university and we are incredibly excited to welcome students back to campus,” Hellmann said.

Students seeking more information can find it on the International Programs website.