Pullman City Council hears plans to expand airport

Council approved roundabout; Pullman Fire Department presents annual report



The Pullman Fire station responded to 2,308 calls during 2020, said Fire Chief Mike Heston during a City Council meeting Tuesday.

MOLLY WILK, Evergreen reporter

Pullman City Council heard several presentations at their meeting Tuesday night, including updates from the Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport and Pullman Fire Department.

Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport

Tim Dacey, architecture representative at Mead & Hunt, presented plans that would update the current airport terminal to better suit travelers’ needs. 

The airport board previously received grant funding from the Federal Aviation Administration and secured $51 million from the FAA Airport Improvement Program, as well as $61 million in funding, Dacey said. 

The update will hopefully open up the east and west wings of the airport, leaving space for a second security screening area. Other additions to the building include a sloped roof designed to emulate the hills seen on the Palouse, he said. 

The project is estimated to cost $59 million total, he said. 

The council will have a full discussion on the matter during their Nov. 30 meeting, said City Administrator Mike Urban. 

Pullman Fire Department

Pullman Fire Chief Mike Heston presented the 2020 annual report.

During 2020, the station responded to 2,308 calls; 70 percent were Emergency Medical Services calls and 30 percent were for fires, Heston said. 

Station One responded to 55 percent of those calls, and Station Two responded to the other 45 percent, he said. 

 The largest majority of calls were made from College Hill — 27 percent of the total number of calls and 47 percent of all fire responses, he said. 

Approximately $100,000 was lost in property damage because of fires during the year, he said. 

City Hall roof damage

Urban updated the council on the damage Pullman City Hall faced during the wind storm earlier this week. 

At around 4:30 p.m. Monday, individuals inside the building heard a loud noise and exited to see a portion of the roof blown over the roof’s peak onto the opposite side of the building, Urban said. The damage is estimated to be about 16 by 25 feet.

The building is being repaired and has been protected from any possible rain or snow, he said. 

2022 budget

Jonna Davis, Pullman finance and administrative services director, presented a revenue ordinance that detailed 2022 property tax data, the estimated cost of the 1 percent levy increase and the 2022 general fund expenditure budget by department.

Street maintenance

Clayton Forsmann deputy public works director, presented a resolution to construct a roundabout at the intersection of Terre View Drive and North Fairway Road. The council adopted the resolution. 

Forsmann also presented a resolution to improve the walkway along Terre View Drive, which is east of the intersection with North Fairway Drive. The council moved to adopt the resolution.