Coug Day at the Capitol to happen virtually Jan. 24

Senators work toward increasing access to menstrual products, student safety, parking at Cougar Health Services

ANISSA CHAK

Diego Lopez, ASWSU deputy director of legislative affairs, spoke during the ASWSU Senate meeting Wednesday night about Coug Day at the Capitol.

MOLLY WILK, Evergreen reporter

Coug Day at the Capitol, an event giving students the opportunity to advocate for needs on campus, will happen virtually on Jan. 24. 

Estela Navarro and Diego Lopez, ASWSU deputy directors of legislative affairs, said during a Wednesday night ASWSU Senate meeting that they are still actively recruiting students for the event.

They will post an application to join the Cougar lobbying team before winter break, Lopez said.

Margeaux Edwards, ASWSU director of student affairs, said she plans to work with a crisis hotline to support students’ mental health. 

Edwards said she hopes the ASWSU budget would help fund the partnership. 

ASWSU health director Conner Rath told the senate he is currently working with Environmental Sustainability Alliance to help facilitate the implementation of a new hydroponic table. 

He said he is also working on a health promotion week which would offer light therapy, free University Recreation classes and CPR training. 

Two candidates ran for the open election board chair position. After hearing from the candidates, the senators decided to reopen the application and revisit it at the beginning of the spring semester. 

Bylaws and resolutions

The senate moved to approve three bylaws relating to social media, ASWSU financing and budget reports. 

The senate passed one resolution calling for undocumented students working on campus to be paid through a stipend that does not require them to have a social security number. All-Campus Senator Mayra Angel and Gabby Rodriguez-Garcilazo, College of Arts and Sciences senator, authored the resolution. 

The senate also passed a resolution calling to increase access to menstrual products in residence halls and other on-campus buildings. All-Campus Senator Nikolai Sublett and Gabrielle Lund, College of Arts and Sciences senator, authored the resolution. 

Lund said the resolution was inspired by her experience as a resident adviser when she noticed the lack of products available to students. 

Sublett and Lund said it is important to use inclusive language such as “menstrual products” instead of “feminine hygiene products.” 

The senators passed a third resolution authored by All-Campus Senator Kiana Parsi, which calls for students to receive an hour of free parking at Cougar Health Services. Students currently get free parking at the UREC but not for medical services, Parsi said. 

Kjelt Visser and Brayden Harris, Carson College of Business senators, authored the fourth resolution passed Wednesday. It calls for the Carson Center library to be revived, which would give business students access to required textbooks for classes needed to certify. 

The fifth resolution, authored by All-Campus Senator Jacob Martinez, calls for WSU to improve student safety by adding more stop signs around College Hill and on campus.