Songs to start the semester

Songs that will make you, cry, scream, rage, everything to get you through the semester

As the semester picks up speed, release some of that built up rage and jam out to this playlist. With a wide range of music, there is something for everyone.

ANISSA CHAK

COLE QUINN, Evergreen Sports Photographer

After spending time with family for the holidays, it’s time for students to get settled back into life in Pullman. One of the necessities in college life is a great taste in music —one that defines your personality or current mood. So to kick start the semester, here are some of my picks for your playlist that will help cover every emotion you may encounter this semester.

“Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)” – Deftones

It is the greatest song ever written, period. “Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)” is the most ethereal piece of music I have heard in my entire life. The song’s theme is about escaping your problems and leaving them behind. This theme reminds me of a lot of college students like me, desperate to start a new life outside of their hometown. 

I listen to this song at least once a day. It hasn’t aged a bit.

“Chinese Satellite” – Phoebe Bridgers

Phoebe Bridgers is a severely underrated artist. She deserves more attention from the mainstream audience due to her songwriting ability and amazing voice. “Chinese Satellite” describes Bridger’s troubles trying to rationalize her agnosticism. Ironically, Bridgers sounds like an angel in this song and showcases her ability to write powerful music.

Phoebe Bridgers sounds like what Taylor Swift is trying so hard to be nowadays.

“So Here We Are” – Bloc Party

The dual guitar melodies Bloc Party provides on this track are simply stunning. The drumming of Matt Tong kicks the song into a danceable post-punk masterpiece. Kele Okereke’s voice sounds like pure ecstasy and the song is my favorite off their debut album “Silent Alarm” in 2005.

You can listen to it cuddling with someone special or staring at your ceiling on your bed alone.

“All My Friends” – LCD Soundsystem

Only James Murphy could create one of the greatest songs of all time out of a sloppy piano riff. The seven-and-a-half-minute track builds up to a rewarding climax of pure nostalgia. The song’s theme about aging and trying to be young again hits me hard, as I often dream about living my childhood again constantly.

Make sure you know where your friends are tonight.

“Digital Love” – Daft Punk

Daft Punk’s greatest song is one that flies under the radar to most listeners when listening to their 2001 release “Discovery.” While most people may prefer “One More Time” or “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger,” I beg to differ. The song perfectly encapsulates the feeling of love at first sight and boy, is it a groovy one, too. 

But that guitar solo, though…

“Story 2” – Clipping

One of the most carefully-constructed rap songs I have ever heard. The track contains multiple time signature changes, including irregular meters and tempo changes. Rapper Daveed Diggs tells a story about Mike Winfield, a bartender who used to be an arsonist. The song’s time signature and tempo changes help to build tension. Once Mike’s house and family suffer a similar fate to the people he killed, the song ends with a haunting synth melody. 

Diggs tells more of a story in two minutes than some books tell over hundreds of pages.

“Waters of Nazareth” – Justice

If there were one song I would love to see played at a party somewhere in Pullman, it would be “Waters of Nazareth” by Justice. Everyone would immediately go deaf before the main melody even begins, or the speakers would spontaneously combust. The song sounds like a chainsaw cutting open a microphone while it’s recording and I love it.

Be warned. This song will crush you if played loud enough.

“Fault and Fracture” – Converge

Converge is one of those bands with the consistent ability to produce great music over multiple albums. Their song “Fault and Fracture” from their 2001 release “Jane Doe” perfectly encapsulates the band’s chaotic sound. The song makes me want to punch a hole straight through my bedroom wall and then dive head-first through my window.

If you ever feel angry, this will help you vent.