Pullman PD prepares for end-of-year parties, activities

Advises people to drink moderately, have designated driver

JUSTIN WASHINGTON | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

College Hill Officer Garrett Willis said there are concerts planned on campus soon, and the College Hill area usually sees a spillover from those concerts.  

ALEXANDRIA OSBORNE, Editor-in-chief

As the year wraps up and students start finishing their finals and projects, the Pullman Police Department is preparing for an uptick in parties and outdoor gatherings throughout town. 

Historically, Pullman has seen more parties during the months of April and May than in February and March, said Patrol Cmdr. Aaron Breshears.

Breshears said this rise in activity is because of the nicer weather and people getting together for parties, barbecues and other outdoor events.  

The department has moved around its staffing schedules to maximize its ability to respond to calls, Breshears said. 

This work schedule will put more officers working around town during the busiest hours of the night, he said. 

“Things like that will attract people from the surrounding areas, not just Pullman,” Willis said. “Usually, we will have a staff up, which means we increase the minimum number of officers that are working on any given night to ensure that we can answer calls with more numbers.”

He said he typically responds to calls related to noise complaints, fights, property damage, trespassing and fake IDs. The majority of the calls he responds to are for people drinking too much. 

His main role is doing foot patrol during busy days to interact with residents and be present in the College Hill area, he said. 

“It’s pretty easy for people to get away with more stuff, in my opinion, if it’s just an officer driving versus a couple of officers on foot who are actually present,” Willis said. 

While on foot patrol, Willis does spot checks to make sure people are not walking around with open containers, but he tends to give people warnings rather than tickets when he can, he said. 

About 95% of interactions with students he has are positive, he said. It is rare to come across someone who is rude or confrontational with the police.

As people start to go out more after turning in their finals, they should plan to go out in groups, or at least pairs, Willis said

If someone is going to drink, they should be doing so in moderation, he said. People should be opening and pouring their own drinks and never lose sight of them.

Breshears said the department understands people want to get together and be social, but they should make smart decisions in the process. 

“Have a designated driver, and if [someone is] under the age of 21, do not partake in alcohol or marijuana,” he said. “Essentially, think of the big picture and make good safe choices.”