New ASWSU Senate meets for first time 

Several resolutions passed; five senators, 12 Executive members confirmed

MOLLY WILK, Evergreen reporter

*Editor’s note: this story has been udpated to remove inaccurate information about Palouse Ridge Golf Course’s water usage. 

The 52nd ASWSU Senate met for the first time following the 51st Senate meeting on Wednesday night to confirm five senators and 12 Executive members. 

ASWSU President-elect Jacob Martinez spoke to the incoming Senate about his goals for the upcoming year. 

Martinez said he hopes to improve communication between the Executive staff and Senate, and believes forming a strong relationship between the two is necessary for a successful year. 

Maccabee Werndorf was confirmed as the Carson College of Business Senator for the second year in a row. Senators also confirmed Reid Donaldson to a second term as College of Agriculture, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences senator.

Next year, Donaldson said he hopes to work on several projects including working with the Palouse Ridge Golf Course to reduce its freshwater usage. 

Taylor Johnson was confirmed as the education senator. She said she wants to provide more resources to first-generation students and those suffering from food insecurities. Senators also confirmed Diana Rios and Andy Burke to senator positions. 

Nuthaphol “Kody” Ongpituk is now the new ASWSU chief of staff. Ongpituk said he has what it takes to be a leader and is capable of setting boundaries to hold his team accountable. 

Senators confirmed Lauren Auer as the director of legislative affairs. Auer said she hopes to fight for equitable education at the school at the state level.

Sydney Berger was also confirmed as the director of communications. Berger said she wants to increase involvement at registered student organization events by advertising them on social media. 

Gabriela Rodriguez-Garcilazo is now the director of health and safety. Garcilazo said she is interested in being on the Executive team after she realized she could make more of an impact on the other side of ASWSU than as a senator. 

Senators confirmed Nikolai Sublett as the director of university affairs. Sublett said he wants to be sure unrepresented committees get more recognition. He has several events in mind that he wants to plan, such as a picnic and movie night in Martin Stadium. 

Luke Deschenes was confirmed as the director of community affairs. He said his goal is to strengthen community relations so that permanent residents are sad to see summer start and students leave rather than the opposite. 

Senators also confirmed Dita Lamdjani as the director of student affairs and Bobby Yee as the executive assistant. 

Senators passed a resolution calling for a module to be added to each students’ Canvas account with safety resources. A bill allowing senators to have a maximum of six excused absences per semester also passed. 

Pro Tempore Katie Carsten’s bill proposes changing the current finance committee to an engagement committee that will be used to connect with RSO groups also passed. 

Currently, student involvement handles most of the paperwork taking the workload off the finance committee. This change is meant to give the committee a more defined job, Carstens said.