Queer Prom brings masquerade to the masses

The Gender Sexuality Alliance’s Queer Prom is free of charge

KEDZIE MOE

WSU freshmen Hannah Smith and McKenzie Nolan dance at Queer Prom on Oct. 20, 2021, in Pullman.

JOSIAH PIKE, Evergreen news co-editor

In less than a month, students can expect a night of masks, mystery and — of course — dancing. 

The Gender Sexuality Alliance announced its Queer Prom will be held from 7-10 p.m. on Oct. 22 at the Elson S. Floyd Cultural Center. 

This is the organization’s second Queer Prom, and it hopes to make the dance an annual event, said Tessa Bush (she/they), sophomore hospitality and business management major and GSA historian. 

“I would describe Queer Prom as a get-together event for students on campus who never really got to have that moment and encouraging people to get together and enjoy a night with music and dancing and meeting other people in a safe environment,” they said.

This year’s theme will be a masquerade ball in order to boost students’ Halloween spirit, said Annelise Rorem, senior social sciences major and GSA chair. 

The event is free, and entrance is granted after checking the attendees’ student ID. Those who wish to attend but do not go to WSU must fill out a form on GSA’s social media accounts, she said. 

Rorem said the event is meant to provide a prom experience for those who did not have one in high school in an environment where people can feel accepted for who they are. 

She believes Queer Prom is important because it provides an opportunity for people to express themselves in ways they may not have been able to in the past, she said. 

“I think it’s really important to give people that opportunity to express themselves,” she said. “That might look like not being able to be out or not being able to express yourself in a full way in high school since that might be hard for some.”

Students’ reaction to Queer Prom, which has been positive so far, is a significant factor in ensuring it is an annual event, Bush said.

“Success rate really goes into making it happen for the next year, so turnout and enjoyment I think is really important,” Rorem said.

Turnout for last year was around 125 people, Bush said. Because of the large turnout, GSA is expecting up to 200 students this year.

“Please come, but also just be proud of who you are and surround yourself with people who love you and are proud of you,” Rorem said.