ASWSU: Contraceptive machine installation is ‘taking time’

Nikolai Sublett advocates for changes in first-year enrollment

DEX ALTAVILLA

Senators hear Nikolai Sublett discuss issues with New Coug Orientation, Oct. 26.

WSU’s new contraceptive machine, which was set to be installed by the end of October, still needs approval of its cost and payment methods. 

The only factor that is holding WSU back from ordering the machine is ensuring the card swipe system of payment is operational, said Nikolai Sublett, director of university affairs. 

“WSU is not allowed to make a competitive market; since it is directed at students, we are hoping to not run into that problem. We have to wait for the Attorney General to look at it,” Sublett said. 

Additionally, the university needs to get a business license and a shopkeeper’s endorsement for the Cougar Food Pantry, so it can handle the pharmaceuticals, Sublett said. He also wants boxed water to be added to the machine, as it is environmentally sustainable.

“The machine will be implemented, it is just taking time,” he said. 

Sublett also discussed changing New Coug Orientation, allowing students to enroll all summer long as opposed to only during their orientation sessions. Students with later sessions would be at less of a disadvantage and could secure their spot in classes in which they want to enroll, he said. 

Sublett said he also approached the Student Health Advisory Committee to improve healthcare and benefits for out-of-state and undocumented students. Some options for better healthcare include donors. For the school to supply that care, it would require massive lobbying and legislative change in Washington state, he said.