Street Talk: What is your favorite rock song?

The students of Pullman have thoughts

KESTRA ENGSTROM

What’s your favorite rock song? Reporter asked the community.

PARKER R. SCHAFER, Evergreen columnist

Rock ‘n’ roll has been a genre since the great 1950s when it was invented by the great Chuck Berry, and has remained in our hearts thanks to amazing artists like AC/DC, Elvis, Led Zeppelin and many others. 

Not only has this genre been a part of American history, but the history of the Pullman students, too, and they were excited to share their favorites of the genre. 

“I don’t know if Queen counts, but maybe most Queen songs could be considered the best because they are iconic and anybody likes them. If you don’t like them then I don’t know what you’re doing,” freshman psychology major Alainn Fitzgerald said.

Freshman broadcast news major Macy Hardin said that she loves the classic “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey. 

“Don’t Stop Believin’” was released back in 1981 and has plagued the hearts of every human being with its pumpy music. Everyone either loves and hates this song — there is no middle ground.

Some students’ favorite songs stem from the nostalgic feeling they evoke.

“I’m in between two songs. ‘Diary of Jane’ by Breaking Benjamin Band, and the other one would be ‘Somebody Told Me’ by the Killers,” freshman sports medicine major Margaret Charboneau said. “I think the Killers one came out in 2004, and I was born in 2004, so I know all of the words by heart. Breaking Benjamin reminds me of my brothers.”

Junior mechanical engineering major Cody Nagle shared a similar sentiment with his pick: “Rock and Roll” by Led Zeppelin.

“My mom always sang it a lot. It was always stuck in her head so it’s always stuck in my head now like it’s not even my choice, you know?” Nagle said

Others are fans of the complexity of the music itself.

“My favorite rock ‘n’ roll song would have to be ‘Octavarium’ by Dream Theater,” freshman bioengineering major Cole Eastman said. “I just love it because it’s a longer song and it has a bunch of different parts to it and a bunch of different sections, and shows expertise from all the members in the band.”

Freshman mechanical engineering major Ethan Prichard decided to keep it simple with his choice of “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen; this classic song is a truly beautiful rendition showing off the amazing talents of all of the members of the band.

Bohemian Rhapsody was first released in 1975, and made a resurgence in the 2010s, when it was played so much that just hearing the name of the song evokes a feeling of dread in some.

Sophomore communications major Kasia Saito says that “Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’” by Journey is her song of choice.

“It has a really good intro, it takes a second to lead up to the song and then it all hits at once,” she said. “I kind of skip over the second half, but the first part of the song is just so good you wouldn’t expect it to be from Journey.”

“Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’ “ was first released in 1979 by the ever-so-loved band Journey, and after having listened to this song, it shot toward the top of my personal list in just about every way. The melody and enthusiasm in this songs are fantastic.

Freshman Nathan Diegle says he has to go with “Thunderstruck” by AC/DC. 

“I always used to listen to that running,” he said. “My dad showed me it.”

“Thunderstruck” has been played in every gym class that I have ever been in and, as great as it is, it still haunts me to this day. 

Surprisingly, there are a lot of students at Pullman who do not know the true definition of what rock and roll is supposed to be. It seems that rock and roll has changed and evolved almost out of the standard frame of music. 

There are so many students who do not have a rock ‘n’ roll song that they find appealing, or simply do not know any rock ‘n’ roll songs. 

However, there are still so many who love the genre and keep it alive when they listen to it. 

That being said, the true greatest rock ‘n’ roll song is “Highway to Hell” by AC/DC. First released in 1979, it has been one of the greatest ever since.