Wazzu Weekly: Nov. 18, 2022

Cougar football faces familiar face, Evergreen special edition released

JULIAN CABALLERO

The WSU football team runs out onto the field before an NCAA football game against Arizona State

This week has been difficult for students across the Palouse. The Daily Evergreen continues to cover the homicide in Moscow, Idaho. Our hearts go out to the families and loved ones of the four students who were killed.

This week, the Daily Evergreen produced our special edition focused on sex, drugs and rock ā€˜nā€™ roll.

This edition presented a lot of flexibility for our writers to find stories that peaked their interests.

Every section produced unique content which I recommend you check out on the Daily Evergreen website or grab a hard copy if you are in Pullman.

My favorites from other sections include:

Professor uncovers popularity of History of Rock ā€˜nā€™ Roll course

Have sex, drugs and rock ā€˜nā€™ roll changed since professors were students?

OPINION: Live music is not what it used to be

Asexuality and me, a reporter for the Evergreen

Here are some of the top headlines from your Daily Evergreen sports section:

Aaron Rodgers and Josh Gordon used illegal drugs and only one was kicked out for it.

The NFL has a drug problem

HAYDEN STINCHFIELD, Evergreen reporterĀ ā€¢Ā November 17, 2022

At this point in his career, Josh Gordon is mostly known for his usage of illegal drugs. He was essentially booted from the league for his drug usage and now the same league stands idly by while one of…

Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrongsā€™ Livestrong shunned by former supporters.

Hero to zero: the Lance Armstrong storyĀ 

BRANDON WILLMAN, Evergreen reporterĀ ā€¢Ā November 17, 2022

ā€œYes or no, did you ever take banned substances to enhance your cycling performance,ā€Oprah askedĀ Lance Armstrong. ā€œYes,ā€ he said. Armstrong finally admitted to cheating in his seven…

STELA SZABOOVA

Sex, Drugs and ā€¦ Basketball?Ā 

ERICK AGUILAR, Evergreen reporterĀ ā€¢Ā November 17, 2022

Fast cars and movie stars, I mean the whole nine yards. I guess you could call it ā€œwork hard play hard?ā€Ā  Iā€™d like to tell you about a group of friends, young adults, at the peak of their cultural…

Less than a gram of cannabis oil

GABRIELLE BOWMAN, Evergreen reporterĀ ā€¢Ā November 17, 2022

There are only a few states left in the U.S. that have not legalized cannabis and now athletes have come out to support the use of cannabis and its benefits. Athletes are still being penalized and put…

Butch T. Cougar hypes the fans inside Martin Stadium up during WSUs game against Portland State on Sept. 11, 2021.

From ā€˜Jawsā€™ to ā€˜Juke Box Heroā€™, the songs that shape gameday

SAM TAYLOR, Evergreen sports editorĀ ā€¢Ā November 17, 2022

It is a Friday night (or a Sunday afternoon for that matter) and WSU volleyball is about to begin their match. However, in that empty space between the starting lineup introduction and the first serve,…

Taking shots or shooting up?

PARKER R. SCHAFER, Evergreen columnistĀ ā€¢Ā November 17, 2022

Athletes have been trying to improve their performance with drugs and other stimulants since the dawn of competition. If there is a leg up someone can get on their opponent, then someone is going to take…

Who is the greatest NFL player to abuse drugs?

TREVOR JUNT, Evergreen deputy sports editorĀ ā€¢Ā November 17, 2022

Who is the most successful NFL player to abuse drugs?Ā  This is quite a loaded question. There are many that did drugs during a period of their career and remained highly successful. For the point…

ANH NGO
The worlds greatest PED isnā€™t meant for the field but Chad Johnson had other plans.

Is Viagra a performance enhancer ā€¦ out of bed?Ā 

Athletes will always look for any legal ā€” and sometimes illegal ways ā€” to find an advantage in their sport. One of the most exciting ways athletes have tried to gain the upper hand is by taking Viagra before…

Daylon Daily: rock ā€˜nā€™ roll, the journey within

DAYLON HICKS, Evergreen reporterĀ ā€¢Ā November 17, 2022

Whenever I get prepared for a track meet or practice, music is my number one priority to help me get in the zone. Traveling on the bus, warming up, or even taking up warm-up jumps, music is always around…

GRACIE ROGERS
Barry Bonds put up the numbers to be considered the best player in baseball history, but he ruined it all when he cheated by using steroids.

No, Brandon, Barry Bonds does not deserve to be in the Hall

Recently this very paper published a piece titled ā€œBarry Bonds is the greatest player of all time; put him in the Hall of Fame.ā€ Its publication was a travesty and I am here to set the record straight…

STELA SZABOOVA

Cocaine: the career killerĀ 

One of the most common quantifiable reasons that an athlete can have their career come to a premature end is the use and abuse of drugs. From promising high school recruits to tenured professional veterans,…

WSU football has a dramatic game on Saturday in the desert as they will face their former quarterback Jayden de Laura who transferred to Arizona after playing his first two seasons on the Palouse.

SAM GRUVER
Washington State University quarterback Jayden de Laura (4) watches from the sidelines during a college football game at Martin Stadium, Saturday, Oct. 9, 2021, in Pullman, Wash.

WSU to face former QB at Arizona

De Laura, at a glance, should be widely regarded as an all-time favorite WSU quarterback with his stunning arm talent and utter dismantling of rival University of Washington in WSU’s first Apple Cup win in nearly a decade.

However, in the Sun Bowl, de Laura sat out the second half when Wazzu was down 21-0 and entered the transfer portal several weeks later.

In a press conference earlier in the week, de Laura thanked ex-WSU head coach Nick Rolovich and the other coaches who were fired for giving him a chance.

Rolovich and four other WSU football coaches were fired in OctoberĀ 2021 for refusing to get their COVID-19 vaccines, a requirement for employment by the state of Washington.

He also said ā€œItā€™s personalā€ in regards to facing his former school.

Head coach Jake Dickert is not a believer in external motivators.

We will see how much the external motivator of facing their former quarterback plays into the Cougarsā€™ performanceĀ Saturday.

WSU womenā€™s basketball in Hawaii

WSU womenā€™s basketball is in Hawaii this week to face BYU and Troy. Charlisse Leger-Walker was namedĀ the Pac-12 Player of the Week after scoring 59 points over the course of the last two games and averaging 25 points per game over three games.

WSU menā€™s basketball continues to skid

WSU menā€™s basketball seeks to rebound from a disappointing loss. Over Thanksgiving break they will face Eastern Washington University at a neutral site in Spokane Monday and Detroit Mercy Friday at Beasley Coliseum.

WSU volleyball ends season with home stretchĀ 

Cougs look to take last bite in Apple Cup series

WSU volleyball will play their final four games, all at home over break beginning Friday night. They have games on Sunday, Tuesday and on Nov. 25, the Apple Cup!

Columns:

A birdā€™s eye view into Martin Stadium during Parentā€™s WeekendĀ 

Willmanā€™s Heisman Top five: post week 11

Babe Ruth enters the G.O.A.T debateĀ 

Thank you for reading and go Cougs!