‘A different world’

A luminarium installation will be up from noon–6 p.m. April 13–16 at Grimes Way Playfield

COURTESY OF STEPHEN WRIGHT

The Daedalum luminarium from the outside.

SHAKIRA GONZALEZ-LUNA, Evergreen reporter

The mass of hulking, gray balloons sitting on Grimes Way Playfield is hiding neon kaleidoscopes of pink, green, blue, purple and yellow lights inside its walls.

Architects of Air’s Daedalum luminarium, one of the company’s many inflatable installations, will be available to tour for free from noon–6 p.m. April 13–16 at the Playfield. Brought to Pullman from Nottingham, England, the Daedalum is open to WSU students, staff and faculty, as well as the general public.

The Daedalum is kid-friendly, but children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult, according to an email from the Student Entertainment Board. Like Architects of Air’s other luminariums, the Daedalum is also accessible to those who use mobility aids.

Gueneviere Sherlaw, SEB director of arts, is part of the team that worked with Architects of Air to create and direct the installation.

“These really abstract and pneumonic designs that are inflatable so you can walk through an interactive art exhibit, and it’s this beautiful and gorgeous display…that creates an environment that kind of just transports you to a different world,” Sherlaw said.

Music by WSU’s School of Music will also be playing at the exhibit as visitors experience the luminarium.

“So as you go through the exhibit, you get to experience the various forms of music that they have to offer as well,” Sherlaw said. “It’s a huge, huge piece and we’ve brought [the luminariums] before COVID. I believe the last time we brought the luminarium was back in 2015. And students just really enjoyed it so I want to bring it back.”

Alan Parkinson, company founder, designer and artistic director, developed and founded Architects of Air. The company has shown Parkinson’s luminariums in 40 different countries across five continents since 1992, according to Architects of Air’s website.

For additional information or questions, contact Sherlaw at [email protected].

“I think it’s important to bring these kind of incredible and wondrous displays to WSU so students can still experience something wonderful, even if we’re in an isolated kind of town,” Sherlaw said.